× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does an WNDR3400 work as an wi-fi repeater if the security of the main router is set to WPA2-PSK (AE

William10a
Master

Re: Does an WNDR3400 work as an wi-fi repeater if the security of the main router is set to WPA2-PSK

{ The main router and the WNDR3400v1 are in two different partitions of the building which have different numbers. I am not sure I can use Power Line Communication.}

Is the main router next door to where you want use the wndr3400 and is the partition a firewall ?

It may be possible run the lan cable in a small hole and seal with a fire rated sealant normally red in color.

The current building code is when have to pass a wire from the top of a wall to air seal any air flow.

The fire rating of most firewalls is one hour

Message 26 of 33
simplex1
Aspirant

Re: Does an WNDR3400 work as an wi-fi repeater if the security of the main router is set to WPA2-PSK

For unknown reasons the WN3000PR, I tested, can not connect from 3 meters away to two iPads, the last one bought in 2016.
With the help of WNDR3400v1, linked by cable to the WN3000PR, the iPads can connect now from many meters away (to the WNDR3400v1).

(Main router)...........................(Repeater) 

ASUS RT-N600--------(wi-fi, WPA2)-------WN3000PR-------(Cable)-------WNDR3400v1--------(wi-fi, WPA2)

In consequence, even if for most computers, in the second partition of the building, the WNDR3400v1 will be of little use, because most of the people will directly use the WN3000PR, for the two iPads the WNDR3400v1 helps. I would have liked to make it work alone, without any WN3000PR, but I will go like this even if the configuration is a bit complicated. Also, it appears that the WNDR3400v1 offers better coverage than the WN3000PR. 

Message 27 of 33
William10a
Master

I hate to say it dd-wrt will work on the wndr3400v1 and offers repaeter and wifi repeater modes and wpa2 with aes because easy to over power the radios on wndr3400v1 if set the tx power other then autoIf interested I have the dd-wrt firmware firmware number or a copy on a computer.

I know this a netgear community netgear should have these opions too since it is firmware and the v1 version of the wndr3400 is no longer supported it's a end of life product.

Message 28 of 33
simplex1
Aspirant

William10a wrote:
dd-wrt will work on the wndr3400v1 and offers repaeter and wifi repeater modes and wpa2 with aes ...

If you have such a firmware and you know for sure it works with an wndr3400v1 then direct me to a location on the net from where I can download that dd-wrt. Anyway, I will do it only if I am sure that I can reinstall the original firmware, if the new software does not work, because I do not want to brick the wndr3400v1. 

Message 29 of 33

@StephenB wrote:

@William10a wrote:

I'am sorry that I may seem like some of my question do not may sense 

I think Michael is just asking you to use quotes (or some form of punctuation) around the text you copy/paste.

Yes.

And please do not post a reply, edit it and post it again and again and again.

Message 30 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@simplex1 wrote:

For unknown reasons the WN3000PR, I tested, can not connect from 3 meters away to two iPads, the last one bought in 2016.
With the help of WNDR3400v1, linked by cable to the WN3000PR, the iPads can connect now from many meters away (to the WNDR3400v1).

...I would have liked to make it work alone, without any WN3000PR, but I will go like this even if the configuration is a bit complicated. Also, it appears that the WNDR3400v1 offers better coverage than the WN3000PR. 

It is an odd issue with the iPads, but if the WN3000PR+WNDR3400v1 combo solves it, then I agree you can just go with it.

@William10a wrote:

dd-wrt will work on the wndr3400v1 and offers repeater and wifi repeater modes and wpa2 with aes because easy to over power the radios on wndr3400v1 if set the tx power other then auto. If interested I have the dd-wrt firmware firmware number or a copy on a computer.

dd-wrt (open source firmware) would give you more options than the stock Netgear firmware, so if you want to play around with this solution some more, then it's an avenue you could explore.

Message 31 of 33
simplex1
Aspirant

Regarding the dd-wrt and WNDR3400v1, I have just found this page:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3400

DD-WRT can brick the WNDR3400v1 and if this happens it is not clear for me, after reading the instructions at the above mentioned link, whether WNDR3400v1 can be saved, by reverting it to its old firmware, or not.

In consequence, I will prefer to keep it as it is.

Message 32 of 33
William10a
Master

I let a friend use a extra one when I get it back you can try it if you want it has the dd-wrt firmware on it?

It would look nothing like a normal wndr3400 it has four external 6 db antenna and a 20 mm cooling fan on top to try.

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7