× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX2700 N300 super slow!

simonebrescia
Follower

EX2700 N300 super slow!

Hello,

I have Vodafone UK as ISP, internet speed is 80mbps from the router, goes down to 10mbps from the extender: is it due to the 5GHz of the router vs 2.4GHz of the extender? I tried changing the frequency or the channel (4) but it's greyed out and can't modify it in 'mywifiext' page. Also, when trying to update the firmware from 'mywifiext' page, it starts checking for updates and gets stuck.
What could I try? The speed loss is just too much.

Thanks,
Simone

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: EX2700 N300 super slow!

N300 extenders are slow. 

there's several reasons for this. 

1. 2.4ghz is much slower that 5ghz

2. 2.4ghz is much more sensitive to interference

3. The basic nature of single/dual band extenders cause a 50% speed reduction. Reason why is they have to use the same chip to go router---->extender and then extender---->devices. And they can't do both at once. 

4. Distance. Since extenders aren't right next to the router, they're already operating at an already reduced speed due to distance. 

So altogether, you're taking a slow network, putting it at reduced speeds due to distance, and then your adding in 50% speed reduction because its an extender. So they tend to be slow. They're great for adding in distance or coving dead spots but not much else. 

dual band extenders don't take quite the same speed hit because 5ghz is so much faster. But they still take the 50% speed hit as well as 5ghz doesn't broadcast as far. 

Triband extenders avoid the 50% speed reduction by having a dedicated 5ghz wireless link from router---extender. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7