× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX2700

EX2700

Hello,

Quick Question: I have just installed my WiFi Range Extender to connect my Firestick via Ethernet. It all seems fine. And, in Firestick Settings it says 'Connected by Ethernet' which is what I want. However the only light not lit is the 'Device' light....is it necessary to be lit for proper connection? If so, how do I do that please?

Thanks in advance.

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Thank you very much for your help.

Maybe I will just get a longer ethernet cable and plug it into the router.

You ahve been a great help.

Thank you and have a lovely weekend,

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

No the devices light just means something's connected via wireless to the extender. If its connected via ethernet and its working fine, I wouldn't worry. 

My only question is the EX2700 is a single band N300 device. The fire stick is dual band. And if the fire stick is close enough to the extender to directly connection, why aren't you using 5ghz to connect directly to the router? 5ghz has much higher throughput than 2.4ghz. 

Message 2 of 5

Thank you for your reply.

The reason I bought an extender was on information received that it would help with any buffering on my Firestick video watching as it would be connected by an Ethernet cable. The actual router isn’t that far away but the extender is next to the television.

You asked:

“My only question is the EX2700 is a single band N300 device. The fire stick is dual band. And if the fire stick is close enough to the extender to directly connection, why aren't you using 5ghz to connect directly to the router? 5ghz has much higher throughput than 2.4ghz. “

You completely lost me here with your query. But I am glad you asked it. Does it now seem a waste of time me having bought the extender and all the attachments along with it? I am not sure it has helped with the buffering yet.

Thank you for your help.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

it does seem like a bit of a waste. A wired connection is always going to be more reliable than a wireless but the problem is your wired connection (through the EX2700) is still based off a wireless link. And its a slower link than what the fire stick is capable off. 

So I'd remove it. Extenders are great at what they're designed for and thats to extend the wireless in you home further. If you connect to a router fine, adding an extender isn't going to help. 

If you continue to have streaming issues with the fire stick, you might investigate a powerline connection, moca (ethernet over coax), or even running ethernet to the first stick. 

Also try to make sure the firestick is on 5g when it connects to your router. it has significantly faster throughput for streaming 

Message 4 of 5

Thank you very much for your help.

Maybe I will just get a longer ethernet cable and plug it into the router.

You ahve been a great help.

Thank you and have a lovely weekend,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7