× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Enabling Downstream QoS crashes router

Peobody
Tutor

Enabling Downstream QoS crashes router

I have just finished doing a factory reset along with a firmware update to V1.0.4.122_10.0.95.  I have been working through reconfiguration and the router is routinely crashing after applying changes.  When this happens, the router must be power-cycled before it can be logged into again.  One setting crash that is reproducible is when trying to enable Downstream QoS.  I see an error message that says something to the affect of 'No data sent'.  A router reboot is then required.  Is this crash a known issue?  Is it fixable?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

I haven't seen many people report good things about that firmware version. 

You might try downgrading a version to 2 to see if it helps. 

Message 2 of 8

@Peobody wrote:

One setting crash that is reproducible is when trying to enable Downstream QoS.  I see an error message that says something to the affect of 'No data sent'. A router reboot is then required. Is this crash a known issue? Is it fixable?

QoS requires processing effort and is famously good at bringing a router to its knees. Disabling QoS is the first suggestion when someone asks about router problems.

Given that the  R6400 is not of the most powerful routers around, it isn't surprising that it has a problem with QoS.

You don't say how fast your Internet connection is, but the general advice is that with anything above 300 Mbps, some say even 200 Mbps, you should disable QoS. At those speeds it isn't necessary.

Message 3 of 8
Peobody
Tutor

I have a 50 Mbps service and have had QoS enabled for some time. The crash is new to this firmware. Since I am reconfiguring from scratch I wanted to make certain that it was a router/firmware problem and not something in my configuration.
Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

@Peobody wrote:
 Since I am reconfiguring from scratch I wanted to make certain that it was a router/firmware problem and not something in my configuration.

tough to say 100% if its a bug or just an issue with your specific device. all you can do is try the factory reset and reinstall. If it crops back up after the reset/reinstall, then try downgrading a version. 

Message 5 of 8
Peobody
Tutor

This installation followed a factory reset.  I don't care to go through that again and shouldn't have to.  Besides, I am soooo tired of having to downgrade firmwares.  I had to do it after 1.0.4.118 and again after .120, returning to 1.0.4.106 both times.  It's disconcerting to think that a firmware four versions old remains the most recent fully functioning version for this device.  Everything else appears to be working as it should so I will live without QoS.  

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 6 of 8

@Peobody wrote:

This installation followed a factory reset.  I don't care to go through that again and shouldn't have to.

Quite right. Installing on a clean router shouldn't mess around with the it.

One last desperate thing to try could be to reflash the fresh firmware. There have been rare cases of new firmware not quite crossing the finishing line. Nothing lost by trying it. No need to reset.

Message 7 of 8
Peobody
Tutor

I gave it a shot, reflashing the router with a download of the same firmware (1.0.4.122, no factory reset). It didn't solve the problem.

I also tried enabling QoS both while connected to the router with a wired and a wireless connection and via 192.168.1.1 and routerlogin. All failed with the "... didn’t send any data" message followed by being unable to continue with router configuration and unable log back in to it until it had been rebooted.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7