× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet not connecting

Bayside
Aspirant

Ethernet not connecting

I have a WNDR3700.  It's connected to a DSL modem for internet and port 1 is connected via cable to my desktop (using Windows 8.1).  Recently, my HP 400 printer, which has always been connected wirelessly, started losing its connection, and I have to reconnect daily.  In trying to research the issue, I noticed that my desktop ethernet connection is shown as "Unidentified Network" with a limited connection.  The Properties for that connection describe it as "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller."  Under the WiFi connections, it indicates that it's connected to XYZ, which is the name of the 5GHz a/n router connection. Shouldn't the desktop be connecting to the router via the ethernet connection? If so, how do I correct this situation?  Also, when I look at Attached Devices in the SmartWizard, no devices are shown.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Bayside
Aspirant

Re: Ethernet not connecting

Babylon, this is a modem with wifi, but the wifi is turned off.  I spent a large part of the day poking aroung on this.  Seems like I ran into new symptoms about every half hour.  Anyway, I stumbled across this post on Tech Support Forum (http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/solved-ethernet-does-not-have-a-valid-ip-configuration-91... which had a link for Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller driver updates, and that seemed to fix everything!  Oddly, I'd checked for updated drivers using a link in the Windows help, and it had told me that I had the latest one.

PS - I tried this link, which is right off my browser, but it didn't work properly.  However, if you go to techsupportforum.com and put 911090 in the search box, you should get it.  Look for replys from OLD RICH, who has a Yoda on his posts.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
netwrks
Master

It should be.. Did you confirm both ends of your ethenet cable between your desktop are fully connected?  If yes, Did you try another port on the router? Or another ethernet cable? Your wifi will stay up until you disconnect your WIFI on your desktop, from the router...

Message 2 of 6
Bayside
Aspirant

Thanks for geting back.  I've unplugged and replugged the cables several times.  I hadn't tried a different port, but I did that without success.  No luck with a new cable.  When I disconnect the wifi connection and then troubleshoot, I get a message: "Ethernet" connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration.

Message 3 of 6
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is your DSL modem in Bridged Mode, many DSL modems are also routers?

At the computer if you go to a Command Prompt and type ipconfig /all what IP data do you see for the Ethernet port, please copy and paste into a reply here.

Message 4 of 6
Bayside
Aspirant

Babylon, this is a modem with wifi, but the wifi is turned off.  I spent a large part of the day poking aroung on this.  Seems like I ran into new symptoms about every half hour.  Anyway, I stumbled across this post on Tech Support Forum (http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/solved-ethernet-does-not-have-a-valid-ip-configuration-91... which had a link for Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller driver updates, and that seemed to fix everything!  Oddly, I'd checked for updated drivers using a link in the Windows help, and it had told me that I had the latest one.

PS - I tried this link, which is right off my browser, but it didn't work properly.  However, if you go to techsupportforum.com and put 911090 in the search box, you should get it.  Look for replys from OLD RICH, who has a Yoda on his posts.

Message 5 of 6
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

OK, good to see that your issue is resolved, however I would point out that a modem with WiFi is likely to be a router, and just disabling WiFI alone will not stop it operating as a router. This could lead to future issues e.g. Port Forwarding problems.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7