× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extend wifi range from my RBS40

RS1234
Follower

Extend wifi range from my RBS40

I bought and set the RBR40 with Satellite RBS40 to cover my house over three floors. The Modem/RBR40 is in the lower level, off center of the 720sqft (20x18), and the RBS40 is 20 - 25ft above and in the center of the 720sqft of the 1st floor. The top level is 500 sqft in center of the building and I was expecting good to reasonable coverage up there. The building is wood framed and wood floor and dry wall on the walls.
The wifi signal on the top level is week and I am not sure if the RBS unit has the same signal strength as the RBR40? To improve on my situation I was checking to see what would be the easiest method to increase the signal strength on the top level.
Can I daisy chain another RBS40? Does this exist now?
Is there another device that can daisy chain? 500 sqft? 
I see that my existing units are operating with firmware - V2.5.1.22

Thanks for any advice.

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Extend wifi range from my RBS40

A couple things to try? 

1. hardwire in a pc/laptop to the satellite and check its backhaul speeds. 

2. move the satellite futher away. They need at least 30 ft between router/satellite for proper roaming. Maybe your devices are connecting to the RBR because the RBS is to close to the router

3. Just try moving the satellite. floors/ceilings tend to have hvac within them. Its great at blocking wifi signals. Moving a satellite around or even a router can sometimes help a lot. 

4. check the router. I've seen them installed in utility rooms in basements that are surrounded with hvac. again, its great at blocking wifi. Make sure the router is in a good location

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7