× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extend wifi to metal shop

leeannrachelle
Aspirant

Extend wifi to metal shop

Extreme novice here… I have Xfinity cable internet into Netgear CM1000 modem into a Tp-link deco mesh router. We want to get wifi in our shop which is a metal pole barn about 150’ from the house. I have a Netgear Nighthawk EX7000 range extender/AP. As a range extender in the house, it still doesn’t give wifi in the shop. We have Cat5 buried and run between the house and shop, but I’m thinking it’s not getting any signal. Tried to set up in access point mode in the shop but it says it can’t connect to the router…. So What equipment do I need to buy?
Model: CM1000-1AZNAS|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Extend wifi to metal shop

check the cable. A decent cable should be able to do 150ft. 

Connect a pcl/laptop to it to ensure it works. 

If it does, factory reset the extender and set it up with the installation assistant in access point mode in the shop (hardwired in)

Message 2 of 4
leeannrachelle
Aspirant

I don’t have a laptop with an Ethernet port to check it, will try to borrow one. But on my modem, the Ethernet light is amber which means the router is only getting 10/100 Mbps. What would be causing that? Router and modem are sitting beside each other
Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@leeannrachelle wrote:
I don’t have a laptop with an Ethernet port to check it, will try to borrow one. But on my modem, the Ethernet light is amber which means the router is only getting 10/100 Mbps. What would be causing that? Router and modem are sitting beside each other

Probably a sketchy cable? Or a cable with a bad end. If one of the crimps didn't get done right, it can cause it to drop to a 10/100mbps connection versus gigabit

Try different cables just to check the router---extender. Move them from garage to house just for testing to ensure it connects properly and works. Once it works, seperate them back out. If its dropping the connection, then the only difference is the cable from home--->garage

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7