× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: External Netgear router R6300v2 vs. TimeWarner built-in router

500ford
Follower

External Netgear router R6300v2 vs. TimeWarner built-in router

Hello - Time Warner is switching out my old modem with their latest/fastest that has a built-in router; should I go with the built-in or deactivate & continue w/ the Netgear R6300v2?

Thank you 

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

I would consider two factors in favor of keeping the R6300.

1. It's a dual-band AC router. ISPs are slowly deploying dual-band AC routers. If the Time Warner replacement isn't one, and you have AC clients, then this may be reason enough to keep the R6300. Of course, you can repurpose the R6300 as an Access Point.
  2. Exclusive admin control. An ISP will always have admin access to their router. While it's highly unlikely that one of their employees would ever snoop on your network, why run that risk?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

I would consider two factors in favor of keeping the R6300.

1. It's a dual-band AC router. ISPs are slowly deploying dual-band AC routers. If the Time Warner replacement isn't one, and you have AC clients, then this may be reason enough to keep the R6300. Of course, you can repurpose the R6300 as an Access Point.
  2. Exclusive admin control. An ISP will always have admin access to their router. While it's highly unlikely that one of their employees would ever snoop on your network, why run that risk?
Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7