× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Factory Reset And Range Extenders

Jorge612
Aspirant

Factory Reset And Range Extenders

I have a wifi router in one room and a wifi extender in another room. If I do a factory reset on my main router how does that affect my wifi range extender? Do I have to do a factory reset on both products?

The wifi range extender came with no real instructions aside from the use of genie. So I would not know how to reset the Extender anyway.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Jorge612
Aspirant

Re: Factory Reset And Range Extenders

Ooh ok I understand now. So as long as I keep things the same such as SSID and password etc. after the reset then the Extender will follow the reset router's settings and move smoothly.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you factory reset the router then all its settings will return to default values. The important ones relating to the extender are the wireless settings, SSID and Passphrase/encryption method. If these are set to the same settings as when the extender was set up then the extender should re-connect, at worst it would need to be power-cycled.

The manual for your extender should have been provided on an accompanying CD/DVD, but it is also available by following the ‘Download’ link at the top of this page.

Message 2 of 5
Jorge612
Aspirant

What about my Wireless Router (main hub)? Ever since I did a firmware update its been acting bizarre. I read somewhere that if I reset after an update the update remains and that its actually important to reset to factory settings after an update. So if I reset my Wireless Router, do i have to do a separate reset for my Range Extender too? Or will one stone kill two birds?

Message 3 of 5
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It’s as I posted above, if you factory reset the router the extender is not affected if you re-enter the wireless settings for the router setup. You don't have to reset the extender also.

Message 4 of 5
Jorge612
Aspirant

Ooh ok I understand now. So as long as I keep things the same such as SSID and password etc. after the reset then the Extender will follow the reset router's settings and move smoothly.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7