× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Failed firmware update leads to failed setup

Mooncatt
Tutor

Failed firmware update leads to failed setup

Just to preface this, my R6120 was working fine until trying to install the latest firmware 1.0.0.72 update. I spent about 2 hours before this current problem just trying to un-brick the router when the update failed, and finally got it via tftp (which was a fight in itself), which means I have to set it up all over again from scratch, and it's still fighting me every step of the way. I expected to either use the Nighthawk Android app or simply navigate to the router's default admin login page, but neither work.

When using the Nighthawk app, I go through the setup process, but it hangs due to no internet. No kidding, that's the whole point to setting it up. It sees the modem after rebooting that as instructed, does the cable check, but never verifies net connection. I do have internet when I connect my kid's laptop Ethernet directly to the modem and the internet light is steady green when connecting the router to the modem.

So I try to use the captive portal login page on my phone, but it no longer lets me log in with the default credentials to go into the admin settings. Now I have to immediately create a new password and security questions before I can do anything. I get past that and now it additionally requires creating or logging into my Netgear account. I initially do this on my phone, but the forced 2 factor authentication can not be passed. Because the router doesn't allow Wi-Fi internet at this point, Netgear can not push the notification via the Nighthawk app, nor can I access my email account for the code (I don't have my email on my kid's laptop). Disconnecting to get the email via mobile data resets the entire setup, invalidating the code.

I tried to use the laptop Wi-Fi connection instead to set up the router, so my phone can get the email via my mobile data. When I enter the verification code, the router setup page gives a notice that its serial number was already registered and kicks me all the way out back to step one. Why is that registration even a concern when all I'm trying to do is set up my Wi-Fi?

I know I'm leaving out at least some info, but I didn't stop working on it until after midnight last night and it severely cut into my sleep schedule. Forgive me if the details are a little fuzzy. I know at one point while still trying to setup via my phone it asked for the admin login info with "admin" pre-filled in the username box. I tried using "password" as suggested on the page, the default password listed on the router sticker itself, the password for my prior setup, and my Netgear account password, but nothing worked. I think this happened after the Nighthawk failed setup and asked if I wanted to try the advanced setup.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. The firmware change log says it was a security update, which I suspect included changing the setup process. Setting it up when I first bought it wasn't anywhere near this convoluted. I probably should've tried to access it via a wired ethernet connection from the laptop, but I only have one cable and would mean having to disconnect the modem. I didn't at the time because it seems the router has to phone home during the setup.
Model: R6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
anjans
Aspirant

Re: Failed firmware update leads to failed setup

I have the same problem. It just dont update to v1.0.0.72 from v1.0.0.70.

If I hit update, it will get stuck. After waiting from about 20 mins, I manually restarted the device and can see that version is still at 1.0.0.70. So after trying for few days, I just gave up.

Model: R6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 3
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Failed firmware update leads to failed setup

Hi Mooncatt,

Good day!

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

First of all, we do apologize for the inconvenience of not getting back to you immediately due to the backlog in the system. Do you still have the issue? If yes, have you tried resetting the router to factory default? Have you tried setting up the router using the web browser?

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver
Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7