× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

False Router update email notifications R6300v2

Squeeks99
Aspirant

False Router update email notifications R6300v2

There have been many postings about false 'Important Security Firmware Update from NETGEAR' email notifications. I just received one (8/18/22) for AC1750 R6300V2. I take these notifications seriously. So, I logged onto the router, went to Advanced, and did a 'check for update'. The router connected to the server and came back with 'No update available'.

Ok, I've run into this issue before. So, I logged into support input my model information, went to downloads and sure enough - there was NO new update. My router firmware version matched the version of the posted download file.

Why get this email?

Looked into the false email notifications on the support forum - which there are many - and the NETGEAR answer is very lame. Something like - well these messages just get sent out automatically time to time for assorted reasons!!  So NETGEAR Support/Marketing/Sales/Products, this does not help the users who take these notices seriously. You get false notices - you are going to start ignoring them - because these notices aren't real. Change this policy/feature and send a notice when there is a real update. . . please.

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: False Router update email notifications R6300v2

The NG update services may be out of sync or haven't been updated fully. Since the 6 series router is getting up in age, not sure if they are supporting auto updates thru the routers web page. However there is manual FW updates that users can do on there own when they want to. It's recommended to check the routers support page for any FW updates and manually install them at your discretion:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6300v2.aspx#download

Message 2 of 5
Squeeks99
Aspirant

Appreciate the reply.

As you can read from the OP, I have done this in the past.  I do monitor security news services that publish security awareness bulletins that identify routers (includes NetGear family) having a vulnerability. Then watch or check for further NetGear info updates that an update has been issued.

Agree that auto updates may be gone, or have a short life expectancy. However, the last update for this model Nov 2021, V1.0.4.52_10.0.93, was done via router update over the net and not local. 

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Also not every router gets FW updates for an indefinite time period. As they get older the will fall off the development plate and go into EoS status. 

Good Luck

Message 4 of 5

@Squeeks99 wrote:

There have been many postings about false 'Important Security Firmware Update from NETGEAR' email notifications.

Can you point to any of those false reports? It would be good to know so that someone can follow them up.

There are regular questions asking if the email alerts are genuine.

In reality, those emails don't seem to be tied to any database that triggers the messages. They are part of an irregular campaign that Netgear launches from time to time for people who have registered to receive alerts. These can arrive some time after an update went live.

There have been a few recent messages here about those emails, so my guess is that another campaign is under way.

So, I logged onto the router, went to Advanced, and did a 'check for update'. The router connected to the server and came back with 'No update available'.

The on-board update check is not reliable.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

That page will also have a firmware library for your device.

So there are several possible explanations of what you see.

Because the emails go out irregularly, you may have updated the device already.

It is also possible that the update is on the support pages but has yet to reach the update servers. It can take a few days for that to happen.

In this way, Netgear gets a chance to see if a new update causes grief to the more experienced punters who keep their eye on the support pages.

In the past, an update has fallen flat on its face and been withdrawn before it got near the FTP server.

The onboard update check can also fail because the existing firmware is ancient and requires an intermediate update for the new one to work. This is a rare event, but it has happened, especially when the firmware is tied to a change on the associated mobile apps.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7