× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: False "Not Connected"

DERoss
Apprentice

False "Not Connected"

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

Netgear router WNDR3400v3

Router firmware version:  V1.0.1.42_1.0.68

Router GUI version:  V1.0.1.24_2.1.28.1

When I logged in to the GUI to update the firmware, I noticed that the status was "Not Connected".  Having just downloaded the ZIP file of the firmware, I knew that was not true. 

I installed the new firmware, which involved an automatic reboot of the router.  The status remained "Not Connected".  However, an application that uses the Internet showed a good connection.  I manually disconnected my PC from the router and reconnected.  I still get "Not Connected".  However, I am posting this through a connection via that router. 

Also, the indicator lights on both the router and my non-Netgear modem both indicate I am indeed connected.  The router is only one year old. 

Model: WNDR3400v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
DERoss
Apprentice

SOLVED. 

I logged onto the Netgear GUI and went to [Advanced > Setup Wizard].  I seletected the Yes radio button and then the Next button.  When requested for a new password, I entered my existing (not default) password.  When that process finished, the Interent status was Good.  I finished by saving my settings. 

Yes, my modem is old, 5 years old; but it still works fast enough for me.  And my router is relatively new, only 1 year old.  Until one of them dies, I do not see a need to replace either of them. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
DERoss
Apprentice

I shut down my PC, powered-off the router, and then powered-off my modem.  I waited about a minute and then reversed that.  I still get "Not Connected". 

I then logged onto the router's GUI.  At [Basic > Internet}, I selected the Test button.  I got "Success".  The log at [Advanced > Administration > Logs] says that I am connected. 

While I am indeed connected and having no problems using the Internet, I am concerned that there appears to be a problem with my router. 

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

what actual modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

Message 3 of 9
DERoss
Apprentice

Modem:  Motorola MB7220 V1.0

Modem firmware version:  7220-5.7.1.9

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

Have you tried a simple factory reset and reinstall on the router? 

As an fyi, might be time to look into a router/modem upgrade. Both those devices are pretty old and base model devices. 

Not sure who your isp is but you might see a pretty decent improvement in wifi speeds/coverage from that N600 device. 

Message 5 of 9
DERoss
Apprentice

SOLVED. 

I logged onto the Netgear GUI and went to [Advanced > Setup Wizard].  I seletected the Yes radio button and then the Next button.  When requested for a new password, I entered my existing (not default) password.  When that process finished, the Interent status was Good.  I finished by saving my settings. 

Yes, my modem is old, 5 years old; but it still works fast enough for me.  And my router is relatively new, only 1 year old.  Until one of them dies, I do not see a need to replace either of them. 

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

Not saying you have to update.

Just saying that router was originally made in 2010. You might have bought it  a year ago but its over a decade old and several generations behind on wireless standards/firmare updates/performance improvements.

A half decent used/refurbed gigabit AC router is going to make that thing look like its standing still. And be more secure because of firmware updates. 

Message 7 of 9
Phlegmbot
Aspirant

I'd be interested to know if you have this continuing to happen; it's a regular occurrence for me.  I'm also having intermittent internet functionality from my wireless devices while wired seems to be more stable.

Message 8 of 9
DERoss
Apprentice

The problem has not repeated since my prior post in this thread.  Even while having the problem, my connection remained quite good.  Only the indicator in the Netgear GUI was bad.  That is why this thread has "False" in the topic. 

Note:  I have disabled wireless for my router.  My and my wife's PCs are connected via ethernet cables.  For a week, I enabled wireless while our daughter was visiting and staying in our home.  She had no problems. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7