Re: Fastest Netgear Router - Which is the best

DannyJillard
Novice

Fastest Netgear Router - Which is the best

Guys, I'm looking for the Ferrari of routers and wondering if you can provide some details on the best wifi router out there? Cheers.

Message 1 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I suggest you spend some time reading about the differences between 2.4, 5g, G, N & AC standards or modes. Each one requires compatible clients and hardware to work. The fact you're posting on this site leads me to think you don't understand some of the basics yet. 5G AC which is the latest offers close to wired speeds which is great when transferring large files between LAN devices. But your hardware needs to meet certain requirements. 2.4 has a greater range and because of that is likely to be congested. 5G to me is the way to go but depending on router location and distances to clients may not work reliable.
Message 2 of 11

searay wrote:
5G to me is the way to go but depending on router location and distances to clients may not work reliable.

In other words, as well as the oh so relevant stuff earlier on in this answer, a lot depends on local conditions. You will see different results if you live in a concrete and steel skyscraper or in a thatched cottage with wattle and daub walls. Or a tent.

In any case, what's the big deal about speed? If reliable and consistent "slow" link of an old banger delivers the goods, might be preferable to a Ferrari the keeps stalling.

But if it makes you feel good, buy the most expensive. That always comes with a warm-glow effect.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 11
Cyber99
Follower

I don't know the technical answer but my Nighthawk 1900 is blazing fast and can handle multiple multimedia connections without losing speed.
I just wish more products are dual band.
I have three ROKUs, 4 IP Cameras, and several streaming music players on my 2.4g network.
Only my iPhone, iPad and my laptop with a netgear wireless dual band USB adapter can connect to my 5g network.
Message 4 of 11
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I tend to agree with Michael, I would take ‘consistent and reliable’ over ‘speed’ any day. Most of the newer Netgear routers will provide a high enough data rate that can support throughput for HD video or large file transfers over the LAN. Perhaps one of the other more important considerations is how many simultaneous users you might need to support, and what they will be using the WLAN for. If there are just one or two concurrent users, then you might not notice a great deal of difference between a top of the range router and a router released a couple of years ago.
VE6CGX
Master

Hi, For me stability is most important in any device. If I was asked to name a good router. for me, I'd pick R7000. Choice of f/w and pretty mature at present. My motto is KISS(keep it simple and stupid).
Message 6 of 11
mjskummer
Aspirant

What do you think of the R8000?
Aim Small, Miss Small
Message 7 of 11
sabretooth
Apprentice

Here your answer you will find.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/
Message 8 of 11
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have an R7000, R8000, EX7000, and R6400 all currently running, and a whole bunch of other routers in the loft. I use a laptop in the main, with an Intel 7260 AC PCIe adaptor, I can’t say that I notice any great difference between any of those devices, though I don’t tend to monitor which one the laptop is connected to, I do know that it changes from time to time.

Babylon5 wrote:
...I can’t say that I notice any great difference between any of those devices....

There seem to be two types of people. Those who get on with life and don't worry about the speed of their modems, disk drives, graphics cards and so. Or those who are constantly in pursuit of speed, regardless of the benefits, or otherwise, that they achieve.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 10 of 11
VE6CGX
Master

IMO, whatever fits your bill is the best.  What do you do with router and what do you have in mind?

If your question beomces little more specific folks will come up with some good suggestions.

My definition of best means being stable, reliable.  At present I am doing OK with Linksys EA8500

But if you need some featureas on a router, you have to include that in your search for new router too.

BTW, my last router was Netgear R7500.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E