Firewall rule for port 7423

Ignorint
Aspirant

Firewall rule for port 7423

I am receiving a message from my WNDR4500 each time I boot:

"NETGEAR Control Center failed to create firewall rule. Please configure the firewall manually by adding exception for the following port: 7423 (UDP Out Port)."

I have looked at the Windows 7 firewall and am not clear how to set up an exception for this port. Inbound? Outbound? Block? Unblock?

What other info do you need to assist me?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 7
macdojo
Aspirant

Re: Firewall rule for port 7423

Just got my router on the weekend and can't help you other than to say I am experiencing the same issue. I see there was at least one other post on the matter recently at http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=75268.

No solution was suggested there either other than to "put trouble ticket on this with support at my.netgear.com"
Message 2 of 7
Ignorint
Aspirant

Yup, I saw that one. I was hoping there was more info since then. *sigh*
Thanks.
Message 3 of 7
fordem
Mentor

Ignorint wrote:

"NETGEAR Control Center failed to create firewall rule. Please configure the firewall manually by adding exception for the following port: 7423 (UDP Out Port)."

Let's think about this for a minute...

Q - What is the firewall's purpose?
A - To prevent undesirable communication.

Q - How does it prevent undesirable communication?
A - By blocking the ports required.

So you want to allow the control center to communicate with the router - do you want to block or unblock the port?

So you want to allow the control center to communicate with the router - is that inbound or outbound?

Hopefully asking the questions lets you figure it out for yourself - so the next time around you can - well...

figure it out for yourself.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 4 of 7
fordem
Mentor

Since some one is bound to get snarky ...

If you block the port, you prevent communications, so you want it unblocked, and the message does say "7423 (UDP Out Port.", so that would be outbound.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 5 of 7
macdojo
Aspirant

This problem has now mysteriously disappeared on my machine - not that I am complaining.

It's mysterious because I didn't take any direct action to make the problem go away.
Message 6 of 7
teal714
Aspirant

I have this same problem and I have tried to read the manual and previous posts, however I am still completely clueless. Where do I find firewall ports to except them? (thanks for your patience) :confused:
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements