Re: Firmware 1.0.1.18: Can't get DHCP from modem

MarkGarr
Initiate

Firmware 1.0.1.18: Can't get DHCP from modem

Just installed the new 1.0.1.18_1.0.15 firmware for my R6400, and now I can't get a DHCP lease from my cable modem. If I connect the modem directly to a laptop, I get one fine, but no amount of resetting, rebooting, or replugging seems to work. Anyone else experiencing anything similar? Any suggestions on further troubleshooting before I drop Netgear and go with something that won't cause me these issues?

--Mark

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 29
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Before you leave try using PC MAC address in router's Internet setup. Use same pc connection as you used when testing Modem.

Message 2 of 29
nicely
Tutor

Same exact thing happened to me.  I installed 1.0.1.18 yesterday and now cannot get a DHCP IP address from my Netgear CM500 modem.  My Mac Pro gets a DHCP IP from the modem no problem, but my R6400 will not.  I've recycled the power countless times.  I've tried using the router's MAC ID and my Mac Pro's MAC ID.  Still nothing.

Charter Spectrum cable internet (formerly TWC) in Manhattan.

Message 3 of 29
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @nicely,

Try using the CM MAC of the CM500. Also, did you use the option that said "Use Computer MAC Address" while the Mac Pro is wired to the router? This is to ensure that the MAC being used is the Ethernet adapter's.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 29
nicely
Tutor

Thanks, Dexter. I have tried both of those MAC IDs and the R6400 will still not get a DHCP address from the modem, even though I am able to on my Mac Pro Ethernet port every time. I've reset the R6400 to its factory settings and that hasn't helped either. I called Netgear tech support and was told it couldn't be the firmware upgrade that caused this, even though it was working fine until the firmware upgrade was installed, and hasn't worked since. This router was expensive and it's been made unusable by a firmware upgrade I was asked to install by an email from netgear.

Mark, have you had any luck getting yours to work again?
Message 5 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@nicely wrote:
Thanks, Dexter. I have tried both of those MAC IDs and the R6400 will still not get a DHCP address from the modem, even though I am able to on my Mac Pro Ethernet port every time. 

If you (as a workaround) set a static IP address for the R6400 WAN, does the router work properly?  Use one that's compatible with the modem's dhcp range.

Message 6 of 29
nicely
Tutor

I've tried that also, duplicating the valid dhcp ip, subnet, router, DNS settings that my Mac Pro gets manually on the R6400, but that doesn't work either.

I think it's down to the firmware broke the router maybe for my specific isp modem combo.
Message 7 of 29
MarkGarr
Initiate

FWIW, I had an Arris SB6121 on SuddenLink. I tried the same thngs as @nicely, didn't work. @StephenB, one of the first things I tried. The router said that the internet was good, but I wasn't able to actually get anywhere using a static IP.

Message 8 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@nicely wrote:
I've tried that also, duplicating the valid dhcp ip, subnet, router, DNS settings that my Mac Pro gets manually on the R6400, but that doesn't work either.

Then it's not DHCP, it's something more fundamental.

Are the ethernet leds on the R6400 WAN connection and modem both lit?

Message 9 of 29
nicely
Tutor

Yes, green on the modem and blinking amber on the R6400 after I've power cycled both and connected them via cat5.

Since my last post, I dusted off my old airport router and it connects to the modem and internet without issue. My modem will give anything I plug into it a dhcp address and works except for the R6400.

I factory reset my R6400 again and it will not connect. I tried my Mac Pro's MAC ID on the R6400 again and it won't connect. I tried my Airport router MAC ID on the R6400 and will not connect.
Message 10 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@nicely wrote:
Yes, green on the modem and blinking amber on the R6400 after I've power cycled both and connected them via cat5.

It should be green on the R6400, since the CM500 supports gigabit.

Do you have an ethernet switch handy?

Message 11 of 29
nicely
Tutor

Is it not amber because it doesn't have an IP address from the CM500?

I do have a switch handy.
Message 12 of 29
StephenB
Guru

Amber means that it is connecting at 100 mbits, not 1 gigabit.  That's normal ethernet, and also what the router manual says.  Blinking means there is some network activity (likely the router trying to get the address).

Try putting the switch between the router and the CM500 and see if anything changes.

Message 13 of 29
nicely
Tutor

Thanks, I've kind of given up.  I'm using the Apple AirPort as the router now and have turned the R6400 into a WAP.  Maybe Netgear will fix whatever is broken in 1.0.1.18 in the next firmware update and I'll give it another try.

Message 14 of 29

I can confirm this happened to me as well... but I think I have a nugget of info.

I bought the router brand new, and the same day immediately updated the firmware to 1.0.1.18_1.0.15

Everything worked great.

UNTIL I enabled Downstream QoS.

That immediately borked the WAN DHCP IP from modem.

I tried unsuccessfully to restore factory settings, even downloaded the prior version firmware. No luck. Solid amber Power light, blinking Amber WAN light. No IP address from modem.

When I set the r6400 to Wireless AP and use my previous router as host, and assign an IP address to the r6400 manually, it works fine.

I returned the r6400 to Best Buy, exchanged it for another r6400 and started over.

Same experience. The firmware update goes fine, everything works great.

UNTIL enabling Downstream QoS. Immediately borks the WAN connection.

Error console in Safari reveals that after selecting "Enable Downstream QoS" and clicking "Apply":

Failed to load resource: The network connection was lost. http://192.168.1.1/qos_main.cgi?id=1806876946

Message 15 of 29

I should also mention, after attempting to enable Downstream QoS, the router Admin area becomes unresponsive... it's no longer possible to access the admin area, requiring a restart of the r6400 -- it's at this point that the WAN IP is lost.

After a restart, accessing the Admin area is again possible... navigating to the QoS area reveals that the Downstream QoS is NOT enabled. Trying to enable it causes the Admin area again to freeze.

After a restart, clicking the "Apply" button WITHOUT checking a box has the desired "Updating Settings" dialogue, but does not revert to functioning WAN.

Message 16 of 29
tojo4158
Initiate

I have the exact same problem (separate thread).  Have you found any resolution?

Message 17 of 29

Unfortunately, no solution yet, and no response after posting to this thread.

Since these forums are maintained, I'm assuming Netgear is aware of the issue.

I don't see this being fixed until another firmware upgrade.

Message 18 of 29

Same problem here. Latest 1.0.1.18 firmware, enable QoS, kills DHCP. I called Netgear to let them know about the issue. The tech support guy said they had a fix but he wouldn't tell me how to do it unless I paid for premium support because I bought my router over 90 days ago. I mosty think he didn't know what he was talking about but it's pretty incredible if Netgear thinks they can break their product with bad firmware and expect people to pay to get it fixed.

Message 19 of 29

A Netgear support person contacted me by phone. I sent config files and screen captures, so hopefully engineering will have a patch soon.

Message 20 of 29
Drooper
Tutor

Same problem (downstream QoS) here!
Have anyone gotten an ETA on a fix?
Message 21 of 29
Drooper
Tutor

I certainly hope this is not true! Would never buy Netgear again..!
Message 22 of 29

Engineering is aware of the issue, but no ETA as of now on a patch.

Message 23 of 29
Cpfms
Apprentice

Same issue here. I've had the .18 update for a few weeks but just tried to enable QoS today because all of my devices on 5ghz wifi were being limited to 30mbps downstream. I believe this started after I did the .18 update but can't say with 100% certainty. Before enabling QoS I did see in the Network Map from the Genie iOS app that my iPhone and iPad were showing that they only had a 54mbps link instead of 1300mbps for wireless N. I then saw something that said I needed to enable WMM for QoS to get full speeds. Now I'm sitting here with a kaput router... Did anyone else notice any wireless speed issues before enabling the downstream QoS and bricking their router?
Message 24 of 29
Cpfms
Apprentice

Also, installed the .20 firmware and that does not correct the problem either.
Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 23 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements