× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware update

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Firmware update

My Netgear R6260 AC1600 is prompting for a firmware update. Currently it is using V1.1.0.66_1.0.1

Acording to the Netgear downloads page V1.1.0.64 is still the latest version. I asked about this and apparently the one I am currently on is a beta update my router downloaded out of the box. The firmware it is now prompting me to upgrade to contains a warning and I am unsure about it. I searched google for "Funjsq" and from what I found it appears to be a VPN in China. I haven't installed the update, but I am wondering why I would be getting this update in the first place and if there is anything I should do.

A new version has been found. Do You want to upgrade to the new version now?
Current Version V1.1.0.66
New Firmware Version V1.1.0.76
Current GUI Language Version V1.1.0.66
New GUI Language Version V1.1.0.70
Release Notes

[Warning] If your router's firmware is older than version V1.1.0.76, before a firmware update, reboot the router and stop Funjsq and other applications not related with the firmware update. This allows the firmware to download and update its actions. Otherwise, the firmware update might brick the router.
[Security Fixes] This firmware fixes security vulnerability issues.
[Bug Fixes] Fixes an issue with the Funjsq download accelerator.

Model: R6260|AC1600 Smart WiFi Router Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 13
RobinLK
Aspirant

I'm in exactly the same situation and I don't know what to do about it either. I updated the firmware using the upgrade assistant a couple of times in the past and the process completed normally each time. This warning has certainly made me think twice though. Firmware v1.1.0.66 is working perfectly so I don't want to risk turning my router into a brick, just because there's a message telling me that I should be running v1.1.0.76. I don't use Funjsq so I'm not sure that there would be any benefit in my case 

Message 2 of 13
AHortin
Initiate

I just received this Firmware notifcation as well. I don't run Funjsq or any type of download accelerator software on my computer so I went ahead with the update. I manually downloaded the firmware file from the Netgear support pages, and after logging into the router, I went to the Advanced tab and then the Administration > Router Status menu option and clicked the Rebbot button to reboot the router. After rebooting, and logging back in, I went to the Administration > Firmware Update option and manually selected the .img file that I extracted from the Firmware zip file that I downloaded, and then uploaded the file.

The Firmware update proceeded without any issues. It took a few minutes to update, but once it was done the router rebooted again and it waas back up and running without any issues.

Message 3 of 13
RobinLK
Aspirant

Many thanks for your helpful info AHortin. I've now downloaded the update and will do the same as you. Please can I ask you to post back in a few days with an update? Hopefully, you will have no issues to report! I will do the same after I've upgraded manually to v1.1.0.76.

Message 4 of 13
Catemaco
Aspirant

I, too, tried to update the firmware.  I had rebooted the router a few minutes earlier, so I just went into the administration interface and searched for the .img file that I had downloaded to my computer.

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me.  My router's power light is blinking, and none of the other lights have come back on. 

I have no idea what Funjsq is, or how to stop it.

Message 5 of 13
RobinLK
Aspirant

Sorry to hear that Caternaco. I haven't done mine yet and I'm beginning to wonder if it's actually worth it. Especially seeing as my router is working fine on v1.1.0.66. What happens if you click on [Cancel]? Does it abort the upgrade and return you to the previous version? Or has the failed upgrade process now screwed-up your router?

Message 6 of 13
Catemaco
Aspirant

Thanks.  Once the firmware update starts, you're disconnected from the router, so you can't cancel the process. 

I had a long phone call with Netgear (mostly spent on hold waiting for an agent) last night to troubleshoot, and it looks like I'll have to return the router.

They really need to write better instructions, or change the firmware upgrade process to incorporate the stop to the funjsq process.

I wonder if this all has to be with security key exposure back in January?

Message 7 of 13
RobinLK
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply Caternaco.

Oh well that's just terrific, isn't it? And what are you supposed to do in the meantime? Buy a new router?

I can't believe that Netgear have turned what should be a very simple upgrade process into a game of Russian Roulette!

So is this new firmware upgrade supposed to be a patch for that security key vulnerability?

Message 8 of 13
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi, 

Good day!

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

First of all, we do apologize for the inconvenience of not getting back to you immediately due to the backlog in the system. Does anyone still have this issue wherein you are unable to update the firmware to the latest? 

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver
Community Team

Message 9 of 13
RobinLK
Aspirant

Hi There,

I've postponed this update pending further advice from Netgear. I cannot risk disabling my router because I need Internet access for my work. This is now a critical requirement due to a change in working practice caused by our second national lockdown (UK). In-order to proceed with the update, I would need to purchase another router to have as a contingency.

Your advice on this matter would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Robin.

Message 10 of 13
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi RoibLK,

Thank you for your response. Upon checking on our system, this issue has not been raised to our system yet although a couple of posts has been posted the Support didn't any similar cases. There are a lot of factors that may have caused this to happen. Now in your case or our case today, having Internet access is a vital thing to have because most of us work from home. It is up to you if you don't want to update the firmware for now until you have an extra router. Here's what we can recommend though for now, disable the Remote Management, change the router's admin password and make sure do not give it to anybody for security purposes. If you have guests at home, use the Guest Network of the router.

Regards,

Oliver
Community Team

Message 11 of 13
RobinLK
Aspirant

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your helpful reply.

I have had no problems whatsoever installing any of the previous router updates so hearing that other people had experienced serious issues came as a surprise to me. However, there is a notification from Netgear that comes with the update, with instructions that must be followed to avoid 'bricking the router'. I've never seen such a notification before so I assume that Netgear must have been aware that the potential exists for these issues to occur.

My router is working perfectly at the moment so I think I will hang on for a while longer, before applying the update. For my router, Remote Management has always been disabled, I changed the admin password on first use and I've configured the guest network for use by any invited visitors who are not part of my immediate family.

Thanks again,

Robin.

Message 12 of 13
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi RobinLK,

Thank you for the response.

Regards,

Oliver
Community Team

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7