× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware upgrade DHCP

type36lotus
Tutor

Firmware upgrade DHCP

Will be updating to firmware 1.1.0.112, from .84(?).  Will DHCP assigned IP addresses change when this process completes?

I have VoIP phone system where the routing of calls to individual phones is based on the phone's IP address.  The vendor felt that fixed IP addresses were not needed, contrary to my belief and wishes. 

Thank you in advance,

Mike

Model: R6230|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Firmware upgrade DHCP

It shouldn't.

but you can always go in and set reserved IP addresses. Pretty simple to do. 

https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

It shouldn't.

but you can always go in and set reserved IP addresses. Pretty simple to do. 

https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 2 of 5
type36lotus
Tutor

"It shouldn't."  That is what I am hoping for.  My concern is that if it does assign new IPs I will disable two law offices.  They will not be happy.  I do have a plan for a future implementation to assign all phones fixed IP addresses from a consecutive range.  I am going to take your advice and define each phone's current MAC addr and IP address as reserved.  It won't look neat, but should do the job, certainly better than being surprised when the IPs move around.

I will update with results.

Mike

Message 3 of 5
type36lotus
Tutor

The results are in and mixed.   I did reserve(aka fixed, static) all the VoIP phones IP addresses to their respective mac address.  This worked as it should phones retained their earlier assigned IP addresses.   The DHCP devices were possibly random, but maybe not.  Some retained the pre-update IP address, some did not.  I need to check a device which retained its IP addr. and one that did not.  At one time I needed to uncheck the NIC properties "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".  This very much so kept the machine for obtaining new IP addr during sleep/lock states and the software accessing the device from failing to connect(it was saving the last IP used address).

Message 4 of 5
type36lotus
Tutor

Made a visit to the office to check on the state of the network adapters.  None were configured to keep the network adapter alive when in sleep/lock states.  I am sure that there is a reason some changed IP and some did not, just not apparent to me.  maybe IP lease duration?  So Plemens advice was the prudent way to go and resulted in a successful firmware update .  Maybe someone in network land with deeper experience than mine can explain why some changed IP, some did not.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7