Firmware upgrades

longjohnjr
Aspirant

Firmware upgrades

I'm not able to open any downloaded upgrade, as Acrobat says it's damaged or corrupted.
Message 1 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Firmware upgrades

Assuming you are referring to router FW. You don't open it, you extract or unzip if compressed.

if you are referring adobe wrong forum
Message 2 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

All firmware you download from support.netgear.com is there to unzip the file if download file is ZIP file otherwise you will upload *.chk, *.bin, *.img from the router interface "router upgrade" tab
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 12
longjohnjr
Aspirant

June, when I unzip the file, I get a folder with the extension .chk. When I try to open that I get the following message: Adobe Reader could not open 'R6200v2-V1.0.1.18_1.0.17.chk' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).
When I try to upgrade through the router tab, in Genie it tells me to go to http://www.routerlogin.net. No matter what browser I use, I get an error message saying it can't find the server.
Message 4 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

When I try to open that I get the following message:

YOU DO NOT OPEN A FILE.

login the router and upload the *.chk file.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Read router upgrade page by going router reset page first on my sig below.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

unzip it

then open browser type router IP Address

update

browse to folder where update was saved.

If you're using genie App Don't................... log in to the router from WIRED PC
Message 7 of 12
longjohnjr
Aspirant

I have unzipped the downloaded upgrade. When I type in the IP address of the router into my Firefox browser, I get the same message "cannot find server" that I get when trying to log into http://www.routerlogin.com or 192.168.1.1 on Firefox. I don't have any luck using Safari either. I am using a wired Mac mini.
Message 8 of 12
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Your PC settings may have associated .chk files with Adobe Acrobat, I suggest you look at changing that.

What is the IP address allocated to the PC, type ipconfig /all at a command prompt (or the equivalent for an Apple PC) to find out, the IP address of the gateway is normally the router IP address?

What is the manufacturer/model of your modem? It’s quite possible, especially with many DSL modems, that it is also a router and that your Netgear router may have changed its LAN IP subnet as a result.
Message 9 of 12
longjohnjr
Aspirant

The IP address of the ethernet is 193.168.15.101 and of the router it is 192.168.15.1. The modem is an Allied Telesis; don't know the model. It was supplied by my cable provider. I'm still not able to do a router login via the internet so I can update the firmware. Using htpp://www.routerlogin, I get the message "cannot find server".
Message 10 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

???

You go to support.netgear.com
Download the file for your model
Unzip (unzip the file ONLY)
Login the router
Router upgrade
Choose the firmware from unzip folder
Proceed to upgrade.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 11 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If the gateway IP is actually 192.168.15.1 try it, Is the router owned by ISP or you? How do you know the router needs a update? Did you ever actually log into router, Ever?

Try a factory reset by holding reset until power led flashes, connect wired PC and type 192.168.1.1 if this doesn't work look on bottom of router for default login information. if none chances are the router is ISP owned, call them.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements