• 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Forwarded Ports Disappearing - HELP

I've had a NetGear Router WNDR3800CH for awhile now and i'm finally sick of this so here I am.

Whenever I port forward any port, for games/etc, or any number of ports they all get deleted a random amount of time later.

How do I stop this? I want the ports I forward to stay forwarded Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 20
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Forwarded Ports Disappearing - HELP

What version of firmware are you using, is there a newer version you can try? Have you tried a factory reset of the router?
Highlighted
Aspirant

V1.0.0.61CH, How do I check if there is a newer version?

And yes i've tried a factory reset multiple times.
Message 3 of 20
Highlighted
Aspirant

I checked, it does not need new firmware.
Message 4 of 20
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have a link to that version of firmware? What you describe is most peculiar, obviously not what should be happening, if you can provide me with a link I can see if I can find more information, but the Christmas holidays may get in the way.

When this situation arises do you manually re-enter settings or use a saved configuration file?
Highlighted
Aspirant

Here is where it looks like I would get the firmware update but the only one I see listed there is .48 when I have .61

I manually re-enter the settings.
Message 6 of 20
Highlighted
Aspirant

I work for a home security company and I have seen this issue with 3 of my customers with charter wndr3800ch routers over the past few months. Its incredibly frustrating for me in particular having to go back out onto these sites to re-forward ports so they can see there cameras off-sites again.

On the last house here today I finally found a thread on the subject but it seems you guys haven't found a solution either Smiley Sad In my discussion with the charter tech support today they basically told me that if it happens again I should have the customer switch out the router.

I was running the v1.0.0.57ch and was told this was the update firmware so not sure what to think here, but wanted to at least share the pain. If I do find a solution I'll post back here, Good Luck!:eek:
Message 7 of 20
Highlighted
Aspirant

@ryoung322 Thanks for your input man. Still no solution to this here either.
Message 8 of 20
Highlighted
Virtuoso

This firmwares that has CH at the end are most likely provided by Charter. May I know if these routers are leased from Charter?
Message 9 of 20
Highlighted
Aspirant

ryoung322 wrote:
I work for a home security company and I have seen this issue with 3 of my customers with charter wndr3800ch routers over the past few months. Its incredibly frustrating for me in particular having to go back out onto these sites to re-forward ports so they can see there cameras off-sites again.

On the last house here today I finally found a thread on the subject but it seems you guys haven't found a solution either Smiley Sad In my discussion with the charter tech support today they basically told me that if it happens again I should have the customer switch out the router.

I was running the v1.0.0.57ch and was told this was the update firmware so not sure what to think here, but wanted to at least share the pain. If I do find a solution I'll post back here, Good Luck!:eek:

Same issue here, described exactly. This problem only appeared after I recently swapped out my other router (also the same model) with Charter because of a continuous problem with the old router dropping signal.

After swapping out for a "new" router (refurbished) and resetting the forwarded ports, they now disappear after a couple of days.

Same firmware, same router, same issue.

The old router didn't have this issue.

Only saving grace is that Google just announced they were bringing Fiber to our city! Thank you internet gods, can't wait to give these ridiculous, non-helpful, non-appreciative, overpriced ISPs the boot!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Message 10 of 20
Highlighted
Aspirant

UPDATE:

I contacted Charter customer service about this issue after reading this thread. She mentioned that this was the first time she had heard of the issue and recommended getting a different model (1 of 3 different models offered) to rule out an issue with that particular model (WNDR3800CH - Firmware v.1.0.0.57ch) or firmware.

When attempting to swap it out, the customer service rep at the local office insisted that they only carried ONE model of router and that it was the same model of the one that I was attempting to swap. Reluctantly (and desperate for a resolution), I went ahead and swapped it out anyway.

After returning and installing the newly swapped router, I quickly realized that this was in fact a model WNDR3800. Notice anything different???

The installed firmware was v.1.0.0.48. Again, do you notice the difference???
When I checked for a firmware upgrade, it informed me that this was the most current version.

I have since reset all of the previously disappearing port forwards and subsequently/unplugged and rebooted the router multiple times and the port forward settings have all successfully remained intact.

I will update this thread should they decide to magically disappear again. For the time being, it looks as though this may be resolved. Smiley Very Happy

Also, doing a search for "WNDR3800 and WNDR3800CH" reveals a lot of other useful information about the special CH version. Hope this helps.

Friends don't let friends use Charter. Happy interwebbing.
Message 11 of 20
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Those two routers are operating on two different firmware. The WNDR3800 uses NETGEAR firmwares while the WNDR3800CH uses charter fimrwares.
Message 12 of 20
Highlighted
Aspirant

Is there a fix for me if I have the 3800CH?

Can I make it not reset? I don't want to have to get a new router but I may resort to that.
Message 13 of 20
Highlighted
Novice

I'm having the exact same issues.

I called Charter Support about it and they swapped out my router but the issue remained.

I have saved out my configuration file so at least it's fairly fast to get everything up and running after a router fail. It is still incredibly annoying and prevents me from using my system how I want.

My next step is to write a python script that tests whether a port is active and if not, to automatically reload the configuration file. But even then, it will mean random router restarts.

I really really hope this forum is monitored by bug trackers.
Message 14 of 20
Highlighted
Aspirant

If they swapped it out with another 3800CH then that's the problem, at least everyone says the issue is the Charter firmware. I really hope there is a solution for the 3800CH but it doesn't seem likely.
Message 15 of 20
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Firmwares for this type of router are provided by Charter. It is best to report this to them so that they can provide resolution.
Message 16 of 20
Highlighted
Novice

Well, I've called about reporting the firmware issue and have gotten the run around - no one knew where to refer me. Is there an official development account or bug tracking link that anyone knows of?
Message 17 of 20
Highlighted
Novice

Just as a 2 week follow up, I asked charter to provide a router that did not have Charter specific firmware. The support service person said he could arrange it but alas, when the installer came to swap out my router, he brought a R6300v2 with V1.0.3.6_1.0.63CH firmware. Apparently this is easier said than done. Anyway, I set up my system and its been running ok. In 2 weeks, I've had one settings drop. I still cannot determine the source of it, but once every 2 weeks is better than once an hour I suppose. Hope this helps.
Message 18 of 20
Novice

Same issue with firmware .61. Man I wish they would fix this!
Message 19 of 20
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Call Charter for any updates. Most likely they will replace your unit.
Message 20 of 20