× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Full speed not reached by wifi connection on Nighthawk R6400v2 with firmware version V1.0.4.128_10.0

Markinla
Follower

Full speed not reached by wifi connection on Nighthawk R6400v2 with firmware version V1.0.4.128_10.0

My cable company recently up my speeds from 130Mb/s to 350 Mb/s. I have a wired connection to the Nighthawk and that achieves the correct speed using the Ookla speed test app on my Mac. That connection is to a computer being used as a server. My full time computer, a 2015 Macbook Pro which doesn't have an Ethernet but has 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wifi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac). I have set the it up to use the maximum speed. Attached is a screen shot from my router configuration page. Other post have indicated going back to the 1.0.2 version would fix this. I would prefer another solution as a three to four year version of the firmware would not have the latest bug fixes and security updates. Any ideas to get it working at speed over the wifi connection?

Message 1 of 3

Re: Full speed not reached by wifi connection on Nighthawk R6400v2 with firmware version V1.0.4.128_

You don't say what wifi speeds you get with the R6400v2 but if this is a wifi speed test, maybe that s as fast as the wifi clients can handle.

Is it a lot faster when you try it on other wifi sources?

It might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Full speed not reached by wifi connection on Nighthawk R6400v2 with firmware version V1.0.4.128_

You also don't put if you're testing over 2.4ghz or the 5ghz. 

2.4ghz is much slower and that 40-60mbps is more realistic on the 2.4ghz. 

The 5ghz should hit faster but maybe not the full 350mbps. 

How close to the router is the testing device and what materials are between the router and the testing device (certain materials block wifi really well). 

The 5ghz will be much much faster than 2.4ghz but its speeds will drop of quickly with distance/obstructions. 

So details of how you're testing are important as well. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7