GS108 Only one device connected to a switch works

khamus
Aspirant

GS108 Only one device connected to a switch works

I am trying to use a Netgear ProSAFE GS108 Gigabit Switch to connect a number of devices in our home.  I am sending a signal from a Lynksys WIFI router to the Netgear switch.  I connected a printer first and that device works.  Next I tried to connect a PC and later a laptop via an ethernet connection through a second port on the switch.  Neither device would connect through the switch.  Any suggestions?

Model: GS108|Gigabit Switches
Message 1 of 6
antinode
Guru

Re: GS108 Only one device connected to a switch works

> GS108 [...]

Plain "GS108", or something with a fancy suffix?

> [...] I am sending a signal from a Lynksys WIFI router to the Netgear
> switch. [...]

Has your (unspecified) "a Lynksys WIFI router" a model number?

What, exactly, on your (unspecified) "a Lynksys WIFI router" did you
connect to the GS108?  (Hint: If a device has different types of
Ethernet ports, then "connected to device" is not enough detail.)

> [...] Neither device would connect through the switch. [...]

Windows systems?  What does Windows say about the network
connections?  Physical link status?  IP address?

> [...] Any suggestions?

Look at the LED indicators on these devices?  Test/swap the cables?

Message 2 of 6
khamus
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.  I connected one of the output ports on my router to one of the 8 ports on the switch via a CAT5 cable.  I have a printer connected to the switch and functions as a "network" printer.  I tried to connect a PC - no internet.  I tried to connect a laptop via an ethernet cable to a remote area of the house (low WIFI signal) and again - an unidentified ethernet connection with no internet came up in the choices of available networks.  I will get the model number from the router and the port numbers used, along with some observations about which lights are on and reply later tonight.

Message 3 of 6

You might get better and quicker replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Switches - NETGEAR Communities

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 6
khamus
Aspirant

I may have answered this in my previous reply - the switch appears to be a plain GS108.  The router is a Lynksys EA6100.  Windows recognizes there is an ethernet cable attached to the laptop, but says "no internet".  The 2 lights on the switch port used by the cable to the laptop are both on solid.  Only 1 light is on the port I am using as the input port and it is blinking.  I did try switching cables/ports and disconnecting all cables except the cable to the laptop - nothing worked.  As another test, I did run the cable all the way to my router and connected it.  This worked, so I know the cable is workiing okay.  Still appears to be an issue with the switch.

Any other suggestions?  I appreciate your time and your help. 

Message 5 of 6
khamus
Aspirant

Thank you.  I thought I was in the Switch area of the Community.  I will try over there also.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E