Re: Gargoyle - (Split from Experience with 1.0.16.98 for V1?)

boooggy
Aspirant

Gargoyle - (Split from Experience with 1.0.16.98 for V1?)

for those who installed gargoyle
can u please post the steps for installing this firmware on factory firmware?
thx
Message 1 of 41
Simon0
Novice

Re: Experience with 1.0.16.98 for V1?

boooggy wrote:
for those who installed gargoyle
can u please post the steps for installing this firmware on factory firmware?
thx

Either do it from the webui or use tftp.
Message 2 of 41
ledan
Aspirant

You'll find the version you need in download section of gargoyle website

Example: V1 NA, http://www.gargoyle-router.com/downloads/images/ar71xx/gargoyle_1.5.0-ar71xx-wndr3700-squashfs-facto...

Then you can flash from webui like for netgear firmware.

After reboot, user is 'admin' and pass is 'password'
Message 3 of 41
boooggy
Aspirant

thanks guys
already done
used this firmware gargoyle_1.5.0-ar71xx-wndr3700-squashfs-factory.img.
but there is also a gargoyle_1.5.0-ar71xx-wndr3700-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin...
whats up with this one?
Message 4 of 41
Retired_Member
Not applicable

boooggy wrote:
thanks guys
already done
whats up with this one?

From what I understand...the .img file is the file you need to use if you are upgrading from the factory firmware. Once you get Gargoyle installed to your router, you will use the .bin files for future upgrades within the Gargoyle interface. If you are in North America, you need to use this firmware: 'gargoyle_1.5.0-ar71xx-wndr3700-squashfs-factory-NA.img'. I have had the Gargoyle 1.5.0 firmware installed on my WNDR3700v1 for about a week and it has been great!!
Message 5 of 41
Simon0
Novice

boooggy wrote:
thanks guys
already done
whats up with this one?

They are practically identical, one tricks the Netgear stock firmware into accepting it during an upgrade from the webgui. If you use TFTP, both will work.
Message 6 of 41
Tank_Killer
Tutor

Im my opinion if you are still on the netgear stock firmware, you are on the incorrect firmware for our device. Garyole is where its at, stop wasting your time with netgears inferior software. The gargoyle team is MUCH more talented and dedicated.
Message 7 of 41
Simon0
Novice

Tank_Killer wrote:
Im my opinion if you are still on the netgear stock firmware, you are on the incorrect firmware for our device. Garyole is where its at, stop wasting your time with netgears inferior software. The gargoyle team is MUCH more talented and dedicated.

The Gargoyle firmware does seem to have EXCELLENT Atheros support. They seem to have fixed the slow 5GHz wireless issues and I'll be upgrading one or two of my Atheros routers to it for testing... What gets me was that I had to spend another $200 bucks to buy another embedded board for pfSense for the WNDR3700v1 to attach to and become an AP because of the crappy Netgear firmware kept dropping the WAN connection.
Message 8 of 41
therat
Aspirant

Once a WNDR3700 v1 has been flashed with gargoyle firmware, is it possible to go back to the netgear firmware?
Message 9 of 41
ledan
Aspirant

Sure it is....through TFTP
Message 10 of 41
Simon0
Novice

therat wrote:
Once a WNDR3700 v1 has been flashed with gargoyle firmware, is it possible to go back to the netgear firmware?

3rd party firmware will often allow you to flash anything to the router and firmware header protection is often disabled. So tftp may not be needed. Flash failure via webui is oftentimes caused by browser cache issues.
Message 11 of 41
NightOwl326
Luminary

Simon0 wrote:
The Gargoyle firmware does seem to have EXCELLENT Atheros support.

Does Gargoyle do readyshare of hard drive with current firmware?

Does it do printer sharing?
Message 12 of 41
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

While I know discussion of 3rd party firmwares for Netgear products has been frowned upon in this forum in the past, I'm extremely curious to hear about any experiences from those that have used Arokh's OpenWRT builds as well as Gargoyle. It appears as though the latter has solved some performance issues seen with Arokh's, but I assume all driver updates had been incorporated into OpenWRT trunk so they would be available in his builds as well.
Message 13 of 41
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

It’s not frowned upon, but these forums cannot develop into support forums for third part firmware. For help and support with third party firmware people need to go to the relevant site, but general discussion OK. Except this discussion is taking this thread off topic.
Message 14 of 41
Simon0
Novice

NightOwl326 wrote:
Does Gargoyle do readyshare of hard drive with current firmware?

Does it do printer sharing?

Those are simply packages you can add.
Message 15 of 41
MiloWilson
Aspirant

A noob question. You have installed a different firmware other than Netgear firmware to the router?!? I didn't know that was possible. How do you accomplish that? Are there any different loading directions? Can you go back if there are problems?
Message 16 of 41
Simon0
Novice

MiloWilson wrote:
A noob question. You have installed a different firmware other than Netgear firmware to the router?!? I didn't know that was possible. How do you accomplish that? Are there any different loading directions? Can you go back if there are problems?

1. Yes.
2. webgui or tftp.
3. No.
4. Yes.
Message 17 of 41
nToxik
Aspirant

Considering how broken Netgear firmware is at the moment, is there any cons to use Gargoyle? Is there a list of things that are still being worked on or does everything work? How is the speed compared to netgear firmware?

I'm sure I am wrong here but I thought I read somewhere on these boards that Netgear firmware was optimized for the hardware and any other 3rd-party firmware naturally ran slower than Netgear firmware?
Message 18 of 41
Tank_Killer
Tutor

well gargoyle doesnt have the "and everything but the kitchen sink" approach. You will not find a DLNA server (not that the verion in dlinks is super great) ect...

The only feature that I miss is port triggering
Message 19 of 41
KevTech
Tutor

I would use Openwrt Backfire before I would use Gargoyle as there is a lot more packages you can install.

Openwrt just released RC6 version of Backfire.
Message 20 of 41
Polydactyl
Novice

I actually tried Gargoyle on my 3700v1 last night after reading this thread. I was a little dismayed to discover the firewall was disabled by default (after I left the router running all night), and no way to turn it on in the GUI. Is this normal behavior for the Gargoyle builds?

Also, couldn't configure 5GHz with separate security settings. It was one set of settings for both radios.

The functionality covered in their GUI is pretty basic. You're really not going to be able to avoid learning OpenWRT at the command line if you want to do anything beyond the absolute basics, and (at least in my case) turn on the firewall!
Message 21 of 41
Tank_Killer
Tutor

how is the firewall turned off? it seems gargoyle reports ports as CLOSED not stealth, but firewall is still working.
Message 22 of 41
gravityz
Aspirant

can anybody tell me if gargoyle has implemented resolve name for the connected devices.

with the current netgear firmware some of the connected devices are reported as unknown.
looking at the creendumps from gargoyle it is only possible to see a list of ip adresses with their associated mac adresses but no names
Message 23 of 41
KevTech
Tutor

Polydactyl wrote:
You're really not going to be able to avoid learning OpenWRT at the command line if you want to do anything beyond the absolute basics, and (at least in my case) turn on the firewall!

If you install Backfire the GUI (Luci) is included and anything after that (install packages, firewall setting, etc.) can be done through the GUI so really not much need for command line.
Message 24 of 41
Polydactyl
Novice

Tank_Killer wrote:
how is the firewall turned off? it seems gargoyle reports ports as CLOSED not stealth, but firewall is still working.

True, ports were reported as closed, not stealth, when I ran an external port scanner. Is that a normal default for OpenWRT? I'm sure given the time and inclination, I could have muddled through the CLI and figured out how to turn on the stealth option.

It's been a while since I tried Backfire with Luci. Last time I did, it didn't give me any configuration options for wireless and said I had no wireless ports on my router. Maybe it's time to try again.

With all the strange issues I've had, I'm starting to think maybe something's not quite right with my 3700.
Message 25 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E