Reply

Re: Gargoyle - (Split from Experience with 1.0.16.98 for V1?)

Wolf_666
Luminary

Re: Gargoyle - (Split from Experience with 1.0.16.98 for V1?)

Is there any reference table with differences between backfire/luci fw, Gargoyle fw vs stock?
- Modem Draytek Vigor 160
- Router Netgear RAX200 (Stock FW)
- NAS Synology DS1621+
Message 26 of 41
Jonny_doe
Aspirant

Re: Gargoyle - (Split from Experience with 1.0.16.98 for V1?)

I've got to admit, I've had gargoyle installed for 4 days now , and after playing around with it a bit to learn how to use it , I've impressed !!
Message 27 of 41
Wolf_666
Luminary

Re: Gargoyle - (Split from Experience with 1.0.16.98 for V1?)

Installed v. 1.5.0. Easy to install and configure. Clean GUI.
I made some file trasfer via Wi-Fi (5Ghz), with Samba and FTP to my MediaPlayer (Popcorn Hour A-210). I did not see any improvement. So no better performances in this field.

Some cons:
No Wi-Fi ON/OFF scheduling
No Jumbo Frame support (while other OpenWrt releaes do)
No Guest Wi-Fi (at least no easy to configure).
No FTP
No Sensible improvements in 5Ghz.
No IPV6

Some Pro
Easy GUI
Easy Configuration
Excellent DDNS support
Excellent Bandwidth usage/distribution graph
Stable
Effective 20/40 Mhz band separation and configuration.
Better USB speed (Tested via Samba file transfer).

I will give it some weeks, just to make other test.
- Modem Draytek Vigor 160
- Router Netgear RAX200 (Stock FW)
- NAS Synology DS1621+
Message 28 of 41
gravityz
Aspirant

Re: Gargoyle - (Split from Experience with 1.0.16.98 for V1?)

Popcorn A210.

were there not issues with that mediaplayer in combination with gigabit support on the wndr3700.

is this the reason you switched to gargoyle?



Wolf_666 wrote:
Installed v. 1.5.0. Easy to install and configure. Clean GUI.
I made some file trasfer via Wi-Fi (5Ghz), with Samba and FTP to my MediaPlayer (Popcorn Hour A-210). I did not see any improvement. So no better performances in this field.

Some cons:
No Wi-Fi ON/OFF scheduling
No Jumbo Frame support (while other OpenWrt releaes do)
No Guest Wi-Fi (at least no easy to configure).
No FTP
No Sensible improvements in 5Ghz.
No IPV6

Some Pro
Easy GUI
Easy Configuration
Excellent DDNS support
Excellent Bandwidth usage/distribution graph
Stable
Effective 20/40 Mhz band separation and configuration.
Better USB speed (Tested via Samba file transfer).

I will give it some weeks, just to make other test.
Message 29 of 41
Wolf_666
Luminary

Re: Gargoyle - (Split from Experience with 1.0.16.98 for V1?)

gravityz wrote:
Popcorn A210.

were there not issues with that mediaplayer in combination with gigabit support on the wndr3700.

is this the reason you switched to gargoyle?


WNDR3700 with stock FW and A210 did never suceed to establish a GigE connection even if established a maximum 200Mbps is granted (due to sigma chipset limitation). I used always the 100Mbps ethernet connection between WNDR and A210 and no problem in streaming wi-fi to/from PC (2 laptops) 720p/1080p movie. HD TV is connected via HDMI to A210 and via Ethernet 100 to WNDR3700.

It is curious that Gargoyle 1.5.0 suceeded to establish a GigE connection, solid green LED but no better speed (11/12 MB/s) and connection drops after few minutes after accessing folders via SMB. I use a AlienWare M17R2 with Win7-64 as my main workstation.
My idea to change FW was because I was seeking for better Wi-Fi performances during file transfer, I was looking to have something more than my 11 MB/s, I assumed WNDR with poor stock FW as the root cause.
Now probabily the issue is a sort of bottleneck between WNDR and A210. It's time to add a decent NAS...I suppose.
Anyway Gargoyle is fine, I will wait for updates before switching to arokh OpenWRT or test Backfire with LUCI GUI.
Ciao
- Modem Draytek Vigor 160
- Router Netgear RAX200 (Stock FW)
- NAS Synology DS1621+
Message 30 of 41
therat
Aspirant

Re: Gargoyle - (Split from Experience with 1.0.16.98 for V1?)

Wolf_666 wrote:
Installed v. 1.5.0. Easy to install and configure. Clean GUI.
I made some file trasfer via Wi-Fi (5Ghz), with Samba and FTP to my MediaPlayer (Popcorn Hour A-210). I did not see any improvement. So no better performances in this field.

Some cons:
No Wi-Fi ON/OFF scheduling
No Jumbo Frame support (while other OpenWrt releaes do)
No Guest Wi-Fi (at least no easy to configure).
No FTP
No Sensible improvements in 5Ghz.
No IPV6

Some Pro
Easy GUI
Easy Configuration
Excellent DDNS support
Excellent Bandwidth usage/distribution graph
Stable
Effective 20/40 Mhz band separation and configuration.
Better USB speed (Tested via Samba file transfer).

I will give it some weeks, just to make other test.


Are you saying that using the gargoyle firmware you can't set up the Guest Network?
Message 31 of 41
Wolf_666
Luminary

Re: Gargoyle - (Split from Experience with 1.0.16.98 for V1?)

therat wrote:
Are you saying that using the gargoyle firmware you can't set up the Guest Network?


You cannot setup a guest network from GUI, you cannot setup multiple SSID's from GUI.
You can try to follow the procedure from CLI: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/guest-wlan but it requires some skills.

This is obviously a CONS in regard of stock FW.
- Modem Draytek Vigor 160
- Router Netgear RAX200 (Stock FW)
- NAS Synology DS1621+
Message 32 of 41
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

Re: Gargoyle - (Split from Experience with 1.0.16.98 for V1?)

Wolf_666 wrote:
You cannot setup a guest network from GUI, you cannot setup multiple SSID's from GUI.
You can try to follow the procedure from CLI: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/guest-wlan but it requires some skills.

This is obviously a CONS in regard of stock FW.


That also appears to make it less GUI-configurable than the LuCI-based GUI provided with both trunk and arokh's builds of OpenWRT.
Message 33 of 41
therat
Aspirant

Re: Gargoyle - (Split from Experience with 1.0.16.98 for V1?)

Wolf_666 wrote:
You cannot setup a guest network from GUI, you cannot setup multiple SSID's from GUI.
You can try to follow the procedure from CLI: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/guest-wlan but it requires some skills.

This is obviously a CONS in regard of stock FW.


I like things nice and simple. I was hoping gargoyle was going to be the solution for my connection problems but having to set up guest netw3orks from CLI is a no go for me.
Message 34 of 41
Wolf_666
Luminary

Re: Gargoyle - (Split from Experience with 1.0.16.98 for V1?)

Gargoyle offers a minimal and nice GUI, with few possibilities to customize from GUI itself. So if someone is looking for something flexible and heavly customizable (from gui) Gargoyle is not the right product. After few days of test, some test/adjustment via PuTTy, I will definitely change FW because I had not real benefits from stock 1.0.16.98NA and there is no chance to easily add packages and functionality (an opkg management section should be highly desiderable item and should give a fresh appeal to this FW) to fill the lack of basic funcionalities (see arokh fw to figure out what I mean).

On the other hand, if someone is looking for a minimal GUI with fancy graph, basic functions, Gargoyle is the right choice.
- Modem Draytek Vigor 160
- Router Netgear RAX200 (Stock FW)
- NAS Synology DS1621+
Message 35 of 41
boooggy
Aspirant

Re: Gargoyle - (Split from Experience with 1.0.16.98 for V1?)

new version of gargoyle!
morehere
Message 36 of 41
xTmDarren
Aspirant

Re: Gargoyle - (Split from Experience with 1.0.16.98 for V1?)

boooggy wrote:
new version of gargoyle!
morehere


anyone try the newest version yet? I may try it out this afternoon if im bored..
Message 37 of 41
KevTech
Tutor

Re: Gargoyle - (Split from Experience with 1.0.16.98 for V1?)

xTmDarren wrote:
anyone try the newest version yet? I may try it out this afternoon if im bored..


You would be better off to just use Openwrt Backfire.
Message 38 of 41
xTmDarren
Aspirant

Re: Gargoyle - (Split from Experience with 1.0.16.98 for V1?)

KevTech wrote:
You would be better off to just use Openwrt Backfire.


I went ahead and install the 1.5.1 and it seems to be running great wired.. I haven't tried wireless..

Also if you throw me a link I would be more than happy to try out Openwrt Backfire Smiley Happy
Message 39 of 41
KevTech
Tutor

Re: Gargoyle - (Split from Experience with 1.0.16.98 for V1?)

https://openwrt.org/

RC6 is the latest and is what Gargoyle is based on.

Once installed there are many many packages you can install (software section in LuCi).
Message 40 of 41
skier150
Aspirant

Re: Experience with 1.0.16.98 for V1?

Tank_Killer wrote:
Im my opinion if you are still on the netgear stock firmware, you are on the incorrect firmware for our device. Garyole is where its at, stop wasting your time with netgears inferior software. The gargoyle team is MUCH more talented and dedicated.


Why is it better?
What are the differences?
What features am I going to LOSE if I switch?
Why not OPENWRT or DDWRT?

thanks
Message 41 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E