Re: Genie problem

pfisher
Aspirant

Genie problem

I have an WNDR3800 router and I have the Genie v.2.2.25.6 installed on a WinXP computer. I have a problem with the Genie.

Problem: The Network Map automatically refreshes itself on this WinXP computer. It will continously refresh even though I have unchecked the Notify me of new devices. It will find 10 or so devices then continue to go into this loop.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled the Genie. On a Vista computer, it doesn't do this behavior.

Any help?
Message 1 of 8
pfisher
Aspirant

I have installed Genie 2.2.25.6 on another WinXP computer which this computer never had the Genie installed before and I am getting the same behavior as my another WinXP computer.

Does anyone else have this same problem? Again, the Genie works fine specifically the Network Map works without any problems on a Vista computer.
Message 2 of 8
StratmanX
Tutor

I had a problem with the installable standalone Genie application which would cause disconnects/reconnects on my XP notebook. It was clashing with my Dell notebook network application. Since neither the standalone Genie application (which is nearly duplicated in function by the browser-accessed version of Genie) or the Dell application were required, I changed the Dell network application process from loading automatically at boot. I could have deleted the standalone Genie application instead and all would have been well.

If the issue does not occur after you have uninstalled the standalone Genie application, then just use the browser-accessed version of Genie and enjoy the router.

If you really want to find a fix, look to clashes with processes that load at boot or open a support ticket at my.netgear.com.
Message 3 of 8
pfisher
Aspirant

Actually, the problem is with the Genie version 2.2.25.6 which I had upgraded from 2.2.24.16. The v2.2.25.6 is NOT a stable release on an WinXP computer. BTW, I have an WNDR3800 running Firmware 1.0.0.32

You all understand the issue, right? On an XP computer, running Genie 2.2.24.16, under Network Map, the Map will discover all the devices on your Network. Whether or not you uncheck "notify on new devices", the Map doesn't automatically refresh unless you click the refresh icon. It will discover all the devices and displays the Map.

On an XP computer, running Genie 2.2.25.6, the Map will discover the devices BUT it will go into this continous loop, where it will automatically refresh itself.

I have tested this issue out on two other WinXP computers. I get the same result. I am sure it is the Genie version 2.2.25.6 which is causing the problem.

I have a Support ticket open with Netgear which I am trying to ask for Genine 2.2.24.16
Message 4 of 8
NedFlanders
Aspirant

StratmanX wrote:
I had a problem with the installable standalone Genie application which would cause disconnects/reconnects on my XP notebook. It was clashing with my Dell notebook network application. Since neither the standalone Genie application (which is nearly duplicated in function by the browser-accessed version of Genie) or the Dell application were required, I changed the Dell network application process from loading automatically at boot. I could have deleted the standalone Genie application instead and all would have been well.

If the issue does not occur after you have uninstalled the standalone Genie application, then just use the browser-accessed version of Genie and enjoy the router.

If you really want to find a fix, look to clashes with processes that load at boot or open a support ticket at my.netgear.com.

I am having issues with Genie as well (not sure if it is tha same as you). The standalone version is constantly telling me the laptop has lost Internet connectivity yet my connection is fine?
Message 5 of 8
StratmanX
Tutor

NedFlanders wrote:
I am having issues with Genie as well (not sure if it is tha same as you). The standalone version is constantly telling me the laptop has lost Internet connectivity yet my connection is fine?

If you want to find a fix, look to clashes with processes that load at boot or open a support ticket at my.netgear.com.
Message 6 of 8
pfisher
Aspirant

To anyone who reads my original post.

I have created a support ticket for Netgear Tech Support. I have had many back and forth emails with the Support person. Netgear Tech doesn't seem to get what I am looking for nor to they seem to understand what I am asking to resolve this problem. It is there lack of understand on how to resolve this problem. This is a real disappointment.

The Netgear Genine, the software you would install on an XP client computer doesn't work with Genie v2.2.25.6. It is NOT very hard to understand this concept.

The Genie installed on a Vista or WinXP client computer can be useful and it is a good idea BUT there is a draw back such as the problem I am facing with Windows XP. Who wants to always log on to the Router to see who is connected to your network. This is where the Genie is helpful.

NedFlanders-- I am not having the same problem as you. My problem is stated in the Original post.
Message 7 of 8
jlmacd
Aspirant

Sadly not able to offer a solution to what appears to be an irritating situation but just installed Genie (2.2.25.6) for the first time couple of days ago on my XP (SP3) desktop pc and can report that the Network Map functions correctly on my system ('Notify me, etc' box is checked). I, too, have just installed a WNDR3800 and updated the FW .32 but the looping refresh is not happening. Wish I could proffer a fix but thought it may help to know it that it does appear to function properly with XP.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E