× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Google Chromcast won't connect to WNDR4300 router

Fuggal
Aspirant

Google Chromcast won't connect to WNDR4300 router

I'm having trouble connecting my Chromecast in a long-term vacation rental that has the WNDR4300 router. My iphone and computer connect just fine to the house's WiFi network. The Chromcast recognizes the same network and I can choose it when I try to do the Chromecast setup, but I get the message "Could not connect to WiFi." I've gone through all Chromecast troubleshooting steps (on my own and then on a chat with a Chromecast representative). For what it's worth, I can use my wife's cell phone as a hotspot and connect the Chromcast through the WiFi seamlessly.

It seems the issue has been narrowed to a problem with the router settings (or firmware?) that is preventing the Chromcast connection. The chat representative suggests the "AP isolation" is enabled and I need to disable it. There are other settings that may need to be disabled as well, like virtual private networks (VPNs), proxy servers, and IGMP Proxy.

Can someone suggest how I can do this? I have the problem that this is a rental house and I am not the registered owner of the router. Can I access setttings somehow?

Thanks for any help!!

Model: WNDR4300|N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

This might help eg. for the WNDR4300: Chromecast will not connect to wifi 

From the above link:

===

Here are the detailed steps to find that box:

I have a Netgear WNDR4300 router that was blocking my new chromecast from connecting via the wifi password. I was typing it in correctly but it kept giving me the error "Connection problem during setup! - Chromecast could not connect to Netgear - Please check your password". I spent hours trying to resolve it only to realized it came down to one option in my router settings.

• Go to your router settings by typing your ip in to a browser
  • Click on advanced in the upper left corner
  • Click on 'Setup' -> QoS Setup
  • Check the box next to "Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings for which ever frequency your wifi is connecting to (2.4 or 5ghz)
  • Click 'Apply'
  • Reset your chromecast and start the app up again and that's it!

===

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

This might help eg. for the WNDR4300: Chromecast will not connect to wifi 

From the above link:

===

Here are the detailed steps to find that box:

I have a Netgear WNDR4300 router that was blocking my new chromecast from connecting via the wifi password. I was typing it in correctly but it kept giving me the error "Connection problem during setup! - Chromecast could not connect to Netgear - Please check your password". I spent hours trying to resolve it only to realized it came down to one option in my router settings.

• Go to your router settings by typing your ip in to a browser
  • Click on advanced in the upper left corner
  • Click on 'Setup' -> QoS Setup
  • Check the box next to "Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings for which ever frequency your wifi is connecting to (2.4 or 5ghz)
  • Click 'Apply'
  • Reset your chromecast and start the app up again and that's it!

===

Message 2 of 3
Fuggal
Aspirant

Oh my, it worked!!! Thank you so much.

Enabling that WiFi multimedia setting was the issue (it makes perfect sense now once you've pointed it out). 

Like you, I spent many hour on this (several days, actually).

You saved me!!!

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7