Reply

Guest Network Functionality

Rhyalus
Apprentice

Guest Network Functionality

Hello All,

New owner here...

I have a question about Guest Network functionality. I get no internet at all on the guest network unless I check the "Allow Guest to Access my local network" box. I thought that this should NOT be checked if I only wanted a guest to access the internet directly.

Any thoughts on this? I am assuming that the guests would be able to access my readyshare folders with this box checked, but I have not tested this yet.

Thanks,
R
Message 1 of 13
Joe_
Apprentice

Re: Guest Network Functionality

It seems that some people are having issues with the Guest Function (though not the same as yours), while others have no issues. See this thread.

IMO you should open a case at my.netgear.com. You may want to use the option of not registering your router, in case you need to return it.
Message 2 of 13
Rhyalus
Apprentice

Re: Guest Network Functionality

Thanks Joe.

I actually registered my router when I called for support yesterday.

They were "ok", but once they helped me get it working by "allowing access to local network" they did not know what to say when I asked them about whether or not this "should" have been required.

All I want to do is allow guests to access the internet, but not other local resources or shares.

I was hoping that this board was moderated by Netgear support.

R
Message 3 of 13
Joe_
Apprentice

Re: Guest Network Functionality

Rhyalus wrote:
All I want to do is allow guests to access the internet, but not other local resources or shares.

I totally agree, otherwise what's the point in having a separate guest network? Strangely enough, someone just recently reported the very same issue though the router was WNR2000 in that case (I believe).

I was hoping that this board was moderated by Netgear support.

Not that I'm aware of. These are really user-to-user forums in the strict sense of the word. Although it's quite probable that "some" netgear employees may have a peak or visit from time to time, I don't think that you should rely on that if you have an issue.
Message 4 of 13
rjsanders31
Aspirant

Re: Guest Network Functionality

I have 3 WNDR3400 routers, one as a base, the other 2 as repeaters. The guest network works fine for the base router without local access, but for the repeaters I must check "Allow Guest to Access my local network" box to gain Internet access. The problem seems to be that unless that box is checked, devices connected to the repeater can't access the base network (gateway). This kind of makes sense, but if you could set up a static route on the repeater to the base router (gateway) that might work, but that option is grayed out on the repeaters. I'll troubleshoot more later.
Message 5 of 13
Joe_
Apprentice

Re: Guest Network Functionality

This problem has been reported here by another person (albeit with a WNR2000 as the repeater).

You should open a case with Netgear and lodge an official complaint.
Message 6 of 13
Rhyalus
Apprentice

Re: Guest Network Functionality

I think that the main reason is that Netgear just simply does not know what a guest network is supposed to be.

A guest network should be a separate network segment that shares no resources whatsoever with the primary segment.

There are some email strings (and some fairly angry ones at that) in the other forums (4000 and 3700).

You can see the problems migrate from router to router. Too bad, really.

R
Message 7 of 13
Joe_
Apprentice

Re: Guest Network Functionality

Rhyalus wrote:
I think that the main reason is that Netgear just simply does not know what a guest network is supposed to be.

That is a possibility.

What I'm trying to get across though is that while many users sharing their experiences is beautiful, we need to appreciate that these forums are user-to-user only. No amount of relevant info concerning bugs that you (or anyone) post here will come to any good if it's not sent to the correct destination - and that's by opening a case with Netgear.
Message 8 of 13
rjsanders31
Aspirant

Re: Guest Network Functionality

Joe, you are correct that Netgear support needs to know. I did log a case for my problem case # 17003409. I'll let you know what they say.
Message 9 of 13
Rhyalus
Apprentice

Re: Guest Network Functionality

Update after contacting my.netgear.com;

Guest networks on this router are not isolated via a new subnet (which they should be). The only way to make this functional and get some level of isolation is to check all of the boxes;



    The really dumb thing (and I am pretty sure it is a bug), is that you must click on "allow guest to access my local network" EVEN for simple web access. The 2nd and 3rd options above seem in conflict, which is why I thought my system was not working at all.

    In my first attempt I just enabled the guest network, and nothing worked.

    BTW, the guys on my.netgear.com are fairly good, but they escalate quickly to other people and they never admit that there is a bug (which REALLY pisses me off).

    R
Message 10 of 13
Joe_
Apprentice

Re: Guest Network Functionality

Rhyalus wrote:
The really dumb thing (and I am pretty sure it is a bug), is that you must click on "allow guest to access my local network" EVEN for simple web access...

As I said before...
Joe_ wrote:
I totally agree, otherwise what's the point in having a separate guest network?


Rhyalus wrote:
I think that the main reason is that Netgear just simply does not know what a guest network is supposed to be.

You may be right at that, or are they just pretending to be more stupid than they are? Does this mean that they are saying that this is the way the guest network is suppose to work? That's it? Case closed? Punto final?
Message 11 of 13
Rhyalus
Apprentice

Re: Guest Network Functionality

Correct.

This is the way it is. However, if I can get isolation to wireless clients on the guest network, that is ok for me.

Not as secure as I would like, but case is closed.

I did submit a strong enhancement request which they said they would pass on.

R
Message 12 of 13
Joe_
Apprentice

Re: Guest Network Functionality

Rhyalus wrote:
Correct.

This is the way it is. However, if I can get isolation to wireless clients on the guest network, that is ok for me.

Whether you could get Wireless Isolation to work for you is a separate matter.

If what you say about them saying "that's the way it is" (and I have no reason to doubt you), I can now truly believe...
Netgear just simply does not know what a guest network is supposed to be:eek::eek:

...IMO that's really asinine in the extreme! How could a company employ people who are so dense?
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4502 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E