• 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Novice

Guest Network Security

My sister put a password on our guest network and I haven't been able to remove the need for a password. The instructions tell me to go under security for the guest network and change the security to "none." For some reason that option is no longer available. It's extremely confusing and wonder if anyone knows why this is happening and how I can fix it.
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Guest Network Security

Try setting the router’s WiFi rate to the lowest setting and then try selecting ‘none’ for the encryption method.
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks but I guess I'm just a novice at this. Nothis labeled as wifi rate. Where do I go to find this?

I guess the whole thing is not a huge deal but if I don't attempt to work through these things I will never learn them. Thanks for the learning experience.
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Take a look at page 26 of the manual;

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR3800/WNDR3800_UM_23Sept2014.pdf

The ‘Mode’ sets the wireless rate, select the lowest rate available and apply the setting, then try to change the encryption method. I’m not totally sure this will be the answer to your issue, but there is a relationship between encryption method and data rate.

However note that this will leave your entire network open to anyone who wishes to connect, not just guests.