dataghost
Aspirant

HDD does not go into standby when connected to router

Just had this router yesterday and finding it to be a lot better than my previous DGN2000. It seems to stay cool, the connection and speeds are rock solid, and the readyshare has been perfect in the tests Ive done (wirelessly streaming 1080p media with 5.1 channel sound to a PS3).

The ONLY slight issue I have (although some would consider it a good thing) is that the drive does not go into standby when not in use. Its constantly spinning 24/7. However when this drive is connected to my PC directly it spins down when not being accessed.

I dont really mind as some people complain that some drives dont resume from standby when connected to other readyshare enabled routers.

So how do I get it to spin down when not in use?

Cheers Smiley Very Happy
Message 1 of 16
dataghost
Aspirant

Re: HDD does not go into standby when connected to router

God this forum is DEAD :confused:

Anyway seem to have sorted it myself in case anyone else ever buys this router and has the same problem:

In the internal pages I set the router to not check for new files automatically and manually set the time it checks to every 24hrs.

What I have noticed that if you reboot the router it will then access the HDD for a length of time (presumably doing a re-indexing of the drive). Eventually the light will stop, and about 10mins or so after that the drive will go into standby mode.
Message 2 of 16
Hebs
Aspirant

Thanks for posting, great help. I was worrying about having to unplug my drives as they were not spinning down.
Message 3 of 16
cmac_1987
Novice

Thanks for posting your solution to the problem. I was worried about my drive always spinning as well.

Very helpful.
Message 4 of 16
haruharraharuko
Aspirant

Thanks dataghost, you've provided the support that Netgear Support was unable to provide, or even get close to providing. They informed me it was because of virus scanners and 'background applications' running on my computer. Which have nothing to do with the USB drive connected to the Router... arg.
Message 5 of 16
wookee
Aspirant

dataghost wrote:

In the internal pages I set the router to not check for new files automatically and manually set the time it checks to every 24hrs.

Hi dataghost, how did you do this? I can log in to the control panel for my DGND3700 but I don't know how to "set the router to not check for new files automatically"

Thanks
Message 6 of 16
Scubbie
Apprentice

wookee wrote:
Hi dataghost, how did you do this? I can log in to the control panel for my DGND3700 but I don't know how to "set the router to not check for new files automatically"

Under "USB Storage" you have three options:

If I recall correctly, the option to change the rescan period is under the 'Media Server' option.
Message 7 of 16
wookee
Aspirant

Hi Scubbie, thanks for such a fast reply.

I did check out this setting previously however in relation to the Media Server settings, under Content Scan it says:
Content Scan -> Automatic Scans for Media files whenever new files are added to the ReadyShare USB Storage

I interpret this to mean it ONLY performs this scan when new files are added to the drive. If you are not using that hard-drive for anything then it would not arbitrarily keep scanning the drive for media files. When you first connect the drive it would scan for any media files so it knows what to make available to any DLNA devices however once it knows what media files exist on the drive it has no need to keep scanning the drive for media files.

Have I understood this correctly?

Thanks again.
Dan.
Message 8 of 16
Scubbie
Apprentice

wookee wrote:
Have I understood this correctly?

It is a long time since I used the auto-scan feature on the DGND3700. I set it up to scan manually every 3 days. I think that is what caused it to keep the drive running all the time.

Unfortunately I also found quite a few issues with the router when it had an external drive or memory stick attached. Check out the threads regarding the various beta firmwares for more on this topic.

Personally I would suggest that you consider a dedicated NAS drive. This would allow you a greater degree of control and flexibility. A NAS can also have software installed so that it can transcode MKV files for the PS3. This is something that currently no router can do.

There is only one possible way to password protect the contents of your external drive on the DGND3700. That involves using the admin password. A NAS can let you have quite a few more users, each with their own username, password and access rights.
Message 9 of 16
wookee
Aspirant

Thanks Scubbie....two answers in the one post Smiley Happy

So where the DGND3700 manual says
"...set up a user name and password for the colleague with the appropriate access"
that's a mistake...the DGND3700 is actually not capable of doing this?

If I give a remote person the password to the router wouldn't that be a big security hole? Wouldn't they be able to fiddle with the router and possibly get access to my whole computer?
Message 10 of 16
Scubbie
Apprentice

wookee wrote:
So where the DGND3700 manual says
"...set up a user name and password for the colleague with the appropriate access"
that's a mistake...the DGND3700 is actually not capable of doing this?

Correct. There is no option anywhere to create a 2nd or 3rd User ID. The only password used is the one you use to log in as Admin to adjust the settings.

wookee wrote:
If I give a remote person the password to the router wouldn't that be a big security hole? Wouldn't they be able to fiddle with the router and possibly get access to my whole computer?

Not quite the case. Since you can block the ability for someone outside your home network to access the router's GUI, this would be more difficult. As for accessing any device on your home network, this is always possible if you haven't got suitable protections in place.

What I have done in the past is to stick a dongle in the USB port, copy the files that I wished to share to it, and then give my WAN IP Address to a friend. Since I have a Dynamic IP Address, this has been a reasonable compromise.

I have a DynDNS Address for my own purposes, but I don't tend to give this out to anyone. However a friend does have it in her FTP software so that she can access her account on my NAS.
Message 11 of 16
wookee
Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:
you can block the ability for someone outside your home network to access the router's GUI

How do I do that?

Thanks
Dan.

p.s. would the upcoming DGND4000 provide these secure networking features I'm after?
Message 12 of 16
Scubbie
Apprentice

wookee wrote:
How do I do that?

This is enabled by default, so if you haven't changed it, they won't be able to get it. Look under 'Remote Access'

wookee wrote:
p.s. would the upcoming DGND4000 provide these secure networking features I'm after?

Most routers offer this feature. Certainly the WNDR3700 does as well. I would assume the is would be enabled on most routers intended for the home market now as well.
Message 13 of 16
wookee
Aspirant

Thanks again Scubbie.
Message 14 of 16
markinspain
Novice

Hi,

The suggestion to increase the time for checking the disk for new files does not work for me. I don't have the media server enabled (mainly because the files will not be media files). Even after a few hours I can still hear/feel the disk spinning. NB this is a Freecom "Toughdrive" that is powered by the USB connection.

I tried formatting the drive and having just 2 files on there, but I notice the same behaviour.

Is there any way to resolve this?

Mark
:confused:
Message 15 of 16
Scubbie
Apprentice

Unlike the ReadyNAS drives, I don't think that Sky's routers do actually power down any drives attached.

I have a WNDR3800 now and the attached drive is running constantly.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements