Highlighted
Aspirant

Have WNDR3700 and Dell dropping 5ghz connection-added Intel 1530 card to Dell XPS

Lets see if I understand this right.
Facts:
-I have a new WNDR3700 with latest firmware from Internet, it is on 2nd floor.
-Have TW Internet. Hardwired I can get about 20+ Mbps download to homebuilt MSI - Core 2 DUO 2.4ghz desktop, 3 meg of memory, XP.
-With Dell XPS 1530 Vista laptop (old Core 2 Duo, 3gb memory) with G card in it, I can receive about 19mbs down WIRELESSLY (using Speedtest.net from same starting locale)

Bigger Issue
Okay with the upstairs Netgear router set to transmit both 2.4 and 5 ghz signals I notice all is okay and signal strength is fine to my laptop with a G wireless card built into it.

BUT
after replacing old internal mini-card with an internal Intel 1530 card (g,n) in laptop (with updated drivers) the signal strength REALLY drops from both routers and I get disconnects whether I connect as G or N WHEN I AM DOWNSTAIRS in house.
If I disconnect the "N" wire (gray) from the Intel mini card in the dell laptop, then signal strength improves and all is honky dory.
Perhaps this is the Intel 1530 card and laptop combination, perhaps it is the distance (upstairs to downstairs) 5ghz has to travel (more than 30 feet horizontally but of course not vertically)..

So I left the gray wire disconnected which is almost similar to me putting back the G PCI card back in the laptop.

IDEAS???

---
A second issue for anyone to comment or agree with?
Also have Netgear Powerline (8b Mbps-yea right) POE Ethernet adapters plugged into electrical outlets (one up and one downstairs) and notice at least in my house that whether wireless (have a Linksys wrt54g G router downstairs as AP) or wired to Ethernet via POE (downstairs) that throughput is SLOWER than wireless to my upstairs Netgear router.....
I guess the home wiring slows things down.
Comments?

Thanks so much for your assistance.
PC
Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Have WNDR3700 and Dell dropping 5ghz connection-added Intel 1530 card to Dell XPS

The wifi card was not design to be installed in the laptop therefore you do not have a 5ghz antenna.
Message 2 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Have WNDR3700 and Dell dropping 5ghz connection-added Intel 1530 card to Dell XPS

Message 3 of 7
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I thought you had wrong ##

http://www.intel.com/products/wireless/adapters/5000/index.htm
Card is dual band support

Router standing up spreads horizontally stronger than vertical spread,
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Unless you know which antenna wires are recieve and transmit and or what freq they are tuned for I would think your lucky anything is working. The picture shows three connections for antennas. I doubt they are optional and leaving 1 disconnected is not the answer even if it does work. If its a transmit port using the card without a antenna will cause the card to run hot and burn out. Using a antenna not matched for the transmitter output freg is a good way to burn out the output IC too.
Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
Apprentice

pacumming wrote:

I guess the home wiring slows things down.

If the wiring in your house is old and not in such great condition, that could could have an effect on the efficiency of your powerline setup.

If you want to know what the condition of your house wiring is then you could hire an electrician to test it with a Mega.
Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Powerline (8b Mbps-yea right) POE Ethernet adapters

Power line ethernet adapter. PoE is power over ethernet which is pushing power on CAT ethernet cable with using two pairs.

that said..

power line changes in the speed with many thing in factors

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=34902

power line devices is convenient way make A-B point but sustain the throughput like CAT5e/6 is no near.

expect constant changes in throughput or other factors that will lower the speed
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation