Re: Having trouble with ports

Spect
Aspirant

Having trouble with ports

Alright guys. I want to open up a port number without port forward because port forwarding is NOT what I want to do. I want to open up a port for my router and my Netgear WNR1000v2 and WGR614v7 doesn't let you use the default gateway 192.168.1.1. I already understood this couldn't be possible before even trying but it was worth a shot. I'm trying to set up remote command line access via telnet at least on one router. I don't care about the security risks.
So what I think I need to do is make a firewall rule stating to allow incoming internet telnet connections.
In short, I already have the command line enabled. Now I want to set up CLI remote management by opening port 23 instead of the HTTP GUI and the default port 8080.

Anyone know how to solve this problem?
Message 1 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I want to open up a port number without port forward because port forwarding is NOT what I want to do. I want to open up a port for my router and my Netgear WNR1000v2 and WGR614v7

bit confused to me
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 6
Spect
Aspirant

Sorry for the grammar. I'm trying to set up remote command line management through the internet so I can manage my home network elsewhere. I have those two routers up for use and I really only need to configure one of them for use.

I'm not trying to set up a telnet server from a computer on the network (which port forwarding is for) but ON the router. How do I get the firewall to allow foreign IP addresses? Open port 23?
Message 3 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

if you want telnet in the router from outside then probably will not work
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 6
fordem
Mentor

Question 1 - does the router support a telnet interface? Can you telnet into the router from INSIDE the LAN?

Going from memory, Netgear's consumer routers don't support this feature, if yours does, there will be a web page that allows you to enable telnet management and specify a range of addresses from which connections can be made.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 5 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

home end router do NOT have telnet at default but you can enable with telnetenabler.exe program (myopenrouter.com)

Once the telnet is enabled you may able to do more command but I personally have not seen anyone tried using outside the network to telnet in.

It's definitely not in router gui even you enable telnet
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos