project_mercy
Aspirant

Re: Help? DNS hangs

Any idea if this is fixed in 1.0.14.98?
Message 26 of 59
mroek
Aspirant

I can confirm that my WNDR3700v1 also exhibits this unbelievably annoying behaviour.

As far as I can tell, it will always recover from this state by itself within a few minutes, but it is still very annoying. I haven't seen this on firmwares prior to 1.0.7.98.

I have yet to see any pattern to these lockups, but on average I'd say I see it happening three to four times a week. It is likely that it actually happens more often, but since it recovers by itself I wouldn't notice it unless I was actually at the computer while it happened.
Message 27 of 59
project_mercy
Aspirant

mroek wrote:
As far as I can tell, it will always recover from this state by itself within a few minutes, but it is still very annoying. I haven't seen this on firmwares prior to 1.0.7.98.

Hmm. I haven't noticed mine recovering without a reset, but maybe I just wasn't patient enough. Rolling back to the previous 1.0.4 version fixed it so I haven't tested it much recently. It'd be nice if the readyconnect stuff was stable though, so I keep hoping this bug is fixed.
Message 28 of 59
bugzapper
Aspirant

Add two more WNDR3700’s with DNS problems…our new v2 running 1.0.0.8, and a V1 that started failing after it was upgraded to 1.07.98. I’ve got quite a bit of detail which will hopefully help Netgear to find and fix this apparent firmware regression:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

We’re having a strange problem every morning with a WNDR3700v2 running the latest 1.0.0.8 firmware. We turn on one PC (wired), and everything is fine. Turn on the other PC (also wired), then DNS seems to stop working for several minutes, but then it eventually recovers on its own. It appears that only DNS is affected.

Configuration:
- Both PCs have Gigabyte EX38-DS4 motherboards. One has XP 32-bit, the other Win7 32-bit.
- Time Warner “Road Runner” cable broadband, Ambit U10CO18 modem
- Replaced an SMC Barricade router which has worked smoothly for 5 yrs.
- Wireless is using WPA2-PSK [AES] with “Enable Wireless Isolation”.
- Did not change any advanced settings.

More info on the failure:
- Ipconfig /all reports both PCs successfully got IP addresses and are using the router, 192.168.1.1 as default gateway and DNS server.
- But IE & Firefox could not open www.google.com
- But they could open the same site by its IP address http://74.125.93.147
- Also, www.routerlogin.net did not work, but 192.168.1.1 did work
- IE’s diagnostics say it can’t find the DNS server
- If I open a VPN connection before turning on the 2nd PC, the VPN connection is not lost when this occurs.

Things I tried which did not help:
- Ipconfig /release & ipconfig /renew does not help
- Ipconfig /flushdns does not help
- Changing the order of PC power-on didn’t help
- Powering off modem, router, restarting everything in order did not help
- RIP Direction setting in the router (Both, In, Out) doesn’t seem to make any difference.
- Reserving IP addresses for both PCs might reduce the duration of the outage (I haven’t quite figured out the pattern), but it does not prevent it.
- Turning the 2nd PC on after a few hours rather than minutes seems to reduce the outage, but it is still a problem. One time it seemed like it might have been intermittent for awhile before recovering.

Another report:
My SA at work has a WNDR3700v1. He reported that a similar problem appeared when the flashed from v1.0.4.68NA to the latest for the v1. He went back to the old version, but that version isn’t available for the v2. (I don’t know whether his PCs are wired or wireless. )

I have to decide within a couple weeks whether to return it or not. I like everything else about it and would really like to get this solved. I haven’t seen any successful work around yet, except perhaps installing DD-WRT.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Message 29 of 59
project_mercy
Aspirant

This is still broken in 14.98. Haven't had more time to test it in 16.98; but since the patch notes don't mention a fix I can't imagine they've fixed it yet.

I can't believe I've bought 3 of these things so far. 3 years and it STILL doesn't do everything on the box consistently; at the same time; with the same version of firmware. Time to go back to Linksys.
Message 30 of 59
dinnyin
Aspirant

This is a few months old, but I'm running V1.0.7.98 and have the same issue as well.

Still no comments from netgear on this thread. anyone hear anything about a fix?
Message 31 of 59
Joe_
Apprentice

dinnyin wrote:
Still no comments from netgear on this thread.

This is a user-to-user forum and Netgear are not expected to make comments here. If you have an issue that you want to be certain Netgear knows about, then you should open a case at my.netgear.com
Message 32 of 59
Jailbird
Novice

@dinnyin - Yep, there's been no movement. As you may have read in the thread, I did submit a case to Netgear, and linked to this thread, but the whole process could be summed up as

Netgear: "oh, it seems you have a workaround (downgrading). Is there any thing else we can do? No? OKThankyouforchoosingNetgearBYE!"
Me: WTF?

Jokes aside, it does seem like they're incentivized to close clases quickly, no matter what, but whatever.

So yeah - no movement, and I'm still on 1.0.4.68, happily.

and...

apologies to @jlewter , I never broke it all again and got Wireshark data. Sorry about that.

-Jailbird
Message 33 of 59
Mr_Frustrated
Aspirant

Well, it could be worse. The DNS services on my V2 won't come back even after a reboot. I've tried 1.0.0.6, 1.0.0.8 and 1.0.0.10. Thank goodness Amazon has a 30 day return period.

I loved this router until I came home yesterday and all i could get is DNS errors.:mad:
Message 34 of 59
dinnyin
Aspirant

Thanks for the depressing info, I guess i'll need to downgrade as well. Such basic functionality, you'd think (hope) it'd be more of a priority to them to resolve...

Also, for anyone keeping score, it's as bad, if not worse, in Firmware Version V1.0.16.98.
Message 35 of 59
Tlyee
Aspirant

Hi folks,

Network newbie here but my V1 (refurb) seems to be losing connection fairly often. At times we can boot up our PCs and can't get connection to the internet (never tried using the direct IP).

I can wirelessly or wired reach the router via 192.168.1.1 though.

I have Time Warner, a Windows Home Server, and will eventually have it bridged to another V1 (where it will connect via ethernet to 360, PS3, Wii, and HD-DVD). Currently the router is set up to bridge on the 5GHz band but the other router I haven't set up yet, avoiding pulling apart my stereo cabinet for the moment.

Before I downgrade, is this basically the same symptoms folks here are complaining about? As a n00b, just want to make sure that I'm attempting to fix the same problem.

tks all,

Ty
Message 36 of 59
Jailbird
Novice

@Tylee -

From what you've posted, it's hard to discern if the root cause of your issues are the same as I originally posted in this thread. Can you elaborate on "losing connection" ?

For instance:
Did you notice the same base symptoms when the connections issues arose?
Does access sites by IP work?
Does setting DNS manually on your machine work around the problem?

Providing that information might help figure out if you're really experiencing this issue, or something else entirely.

-Jailbird
Message 37 of 59
Tlyee
Aspirant

Jailbird wrote:
@Tylee -

From what you've posted, it's hard to discern if the root cause of your issues are the same as I originally posted in this thread. Can you elaborate on "losing connection" ?

For instance:
Did you notice the same base symptoms when the connections issues arose?
Does access sites by IP work?
Does setting DNS manually on your machine work around the problem?

Providing that information might help figure out if you're really experiencing this issue, or something else entirely.

-Jailbird

Hi JB,

I'm a network n00b so I'm not sure of HOW to do some of the tests you mention.

1> Basically I'll be surfing the web fine, either wired or wireless. Then all of a sudden I can't anymore. But I can always hit the router itself, wired or wirelessly. I haven't tried unplugging it but normally it comes back on its own OR if I run the basic set up again; this usually fixes it.

2> What is an IP address I can use?

3> I have Time Warner, is there a way I can find out my DNS to manually refer to it?

tks for your time,

Ty
Message 38 of 59
Brain2000
Aspirant

dinnyin wrote:
Thanks for the depressing info, I guess i'll need to downgrade as well. Such basic functionality, you'd think (hope) it'd be more of a priority to them to resolve...

Also, for anyone keeping score, it's as bad, if not worse, in Firmware Version V1.0.16.98.

This is terrible news. Myself and a friend of mine both have this router, and they both lose DNS several times a week. Same symptoms, can ping by IP, but not by DNS unless we set our DNS manually.

i bought the WNDR3700 over a year ago because the reviews were good. I had been burned by Netgear's negligence in the past and told myself years ago I would never buy Netgear again. Well, I guess I am the sucker again. So once again, I'm never going to buy a Netgear again. This time, for real.
Message 39 of 59
Simon0
Novice

Brain2000 wrote:
This is terrible news. Myself and a friend of mine both have this router, and they both lose DNS several times a week. Same symptoms, can ping by IP, but not by DNS unless we set our DNS manually.

i bought the WNDR3700 over a year ago because the reviews were good. I had been burned by Netgear's negligence in the past and told myself years ago I would never buy Netgear again. Well, I guess I am the sucker again. So once again, I'm never going to buy a Netgear again. This time, for real.

You need to upgrade to the "WNDR3700/WNDR37AV Firmware Version 1.0.16.98 - BETA" which is NEWER than the 1.0.16.98. VERY badly and confusingly named by Netgear.

Located at:
http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19565/related/1/

filenames are: WNDR3700-V1.0.16.98-dnsNA.img & WNDR3700-V1.0.16.98-dns.img

good luck..
Message 40 of 59
WeashPaul
Aspirant

Simon0 wrote:
You need to upgrade to the "WNDR3700/WNDR37AV Firmware Version 1.0.16.98 - BETA" which is NEWER than the 1.0.16.98. VERY badly and confusingly named by Netgear.

Located at:
http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19565/related/1/

filenames are: WNDR3700-V1.0.16.98-dnsNA.img & WNDR3700-V1.0.16.98-dns.img

good luck..

This has not resolved the issue on my WNDR3700V1 router, have been running it for a while now still my internet connection dies every day.

I have now flashed back to 1.0.4.68
Message 41 of 59
WeashPaul
Aspirant

Just to update i decided to reflash the beta firmware, have also done a reset via the pin hole twice and resetup the router.

I have set the DNS as manual 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 so will see in time so far so good.
Message 42 of 59
Simon0
Novice

I find the pinhole reset to not always work... did you ALSO in addition to the pinhole do the reset to factory defaults in the WebUI.
Message 43 of 59
WeashPaul
Aspirant

Simon0 wrote:
I find the pinhole reset to not always work... did you ALSO in addition to the pinhole do the reset to factory defaults in the WebUI.

No i did not do a factory reset via the webui, tbh i have never done a reset via the webui since i have owned the router.

So far though so good, no drop out of internet yet. i will leave it till tomorrow and even if the router appears to be ok i will do a reset via the webui just in case.
Message 44 of 59
WeashPaul
Aspirant

Simon0 wrote:

Turns out there is no webui reset option.
Message 45 of 59
Simon0
Novice

WeashPaul wrote:

There should be a reset option in one of the "Maintenance" pages.
Message 46 of 59
Joe_
Apprentice

WeashPaul wrote:

Look for Backup Settings>Restore Factory Default Settings>Erase.
Message 47 of 59
anomalophobe
Novice

I was wondering: how many of you have some type of iOS device on your network? I bought my V1 router in November 2010 and didn't started having this disconnect issue until March . . . it didn't dawn on me until recently, but I got my iPhone 4 back in February when Verizon offered it.
Message 48 of 59
Joe_
Apprentice

anomalophobe wrote:
. . . it didn't dawn on me until recently, but I got my iPhone 4 back in February when Verizon offered it.

If you do a quick google search for, say "iPhone causing wireless drops" I think you would be amazed by the amount of posts on the web. Smiley Wink
Message 49 of 59
anomalophobe
Novice

I knew (from personal experience) that iOS devices had wifi issues, but my question is whether or not iOS devices cause OTHER devices (namely the router itself) to have problems . . . also, I've noticed that the WAN interface resets typically only under heavy load, with an iOS device being one of the items that's participating in the load.
Message 50 of 59
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E