Help connecting hotspot to router

Brileyf11
Aspirant

Help connecting hotspot to router

Hi. I purchased a pre-owned AC1750 model no: R6350. I also purchased a modem, N300, WNR2000-100NAS. Is there ANY way at all for me to run my Verizon Elipsis Jetpack’s hotspot throw the router to enhance the connection, or should I try to switch my ISP? Or, would it be best just to return the router and modem? I would like to set up a wireless connection in my house. Please help me! Thank you so much. -Briley
Message 1 of 4
antinode
Guru

Re: Help connecting hotspot to router

> [...] I purchased a pre-owned AC1750 model no: R6350. I also purchased
> a modem, N300, WNR2000-100NAS. [...]

That "modem" is also a router.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your (actual) model
number(s), and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual(s), or
whatever.  Read.

> [...] Is there ANY way at all for me to run my Verizon Elipsis
> Jetpack's hotspot throw the router to enhance the connection, [...]

I know nothing about your "my Verizon Elipsis Jetpack", but what,
exactly, does "enhance the connection" mean to you?  Are you looking
for higher speed, or greater wireless-network range, or what?

> [...] or should I try to switch my ISP? Or, would it be best just to
> return the router and modem? I would like to set up a wireless
> connection in my house.

What you should do depends on many things, most of which are unknown
to me, including, for example, your budget, or which ISPs serve your
location.  "set up a wireless connection in my house" is just about as
vague as any description could be.

If you were expecting one of your routers to be a modem (of some
kind, and there are different kinds), then that item may be doomed to
disappoint.

Message 2 of 4
Brileyf11
Aspirant

Well, as you can tell, I don’t really know what I’m doing when it comes to this kind of stuff.
Basically, my internet connection is bad (to say the least). I unwisely bought a router, the NETGEAR AC1750, without doing research beforehand, and just assumed I’d be able to hook it up to my current WiFi and boom, better WiFi. But, it’s a bit more complicated than that I’ve found lol. My current WiFi is from Verizon, and it is a 4G Hotspot, not An internet router. It only has a USB charging port, no ethernet cable port, nothing.
I would like to be able to play my video games, stream videos, etc. and our current WiFi struggles with this. I don’t know if I absolutely HAVE to get a new ISP in order to have better WiFi, or if there’s some way to enhance my current WiFi. There are a few ISPs that cover my area, but we use the WiFi of our data provider, so it would be best to not switch ISPs. Thank you for being willing to help, it means a lot.
Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

The technical hack would be something like this - unfortunately none of your two boxes are supporting bridge mode:

Hotspot -> wireless <-router-in-bridge-mode-> Ethernet <-router-or-wireless-access-point-> your home wireless

I would suggest you talk to your wireless/mobile ISP and ask what they would offer for a better coverage. Hotspots are nice for travelling and as long as you are around in the same room. Easier would be some Netgear 4G/LTE modem with an Ethernet connection where a router like the AC1750 can be connected. Afraid, I don't know which models are available in your market.

4G/LTE-Modem-> Ethernet <-router-or-wireless-access-point-> your home wireless

That is the kind of set-upwe're using for travelling, temporary remote office and event installations where no DSL, Fiber, or CableTV is availbale.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements