× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help me understand thie odd DHCP behavior

Help me understand thie odd DHCP behavior

My network has about 15 devices on it (network A), half of them wired. I added an Ubiquiti AP out in my yard set to WDS repeater mode. I bridged to another old router in a building 300 feet away to serve as an AP. I gave this a different SSID (network B)  and set the DHCP addresses to above 100. I did this because the R6400 sees these devices through the bridge as wired devices on the network A, so I thought it would be easier to tell what devices were attached where. So far so good.
But then the R6400 started assigning IP's above 100 to devices attaching directly to network A. Why? It had never done that before. So I changed the DHCP Ending IP to 99. That should fix it right? Well it continued to assign IP's above 100, except because they are out of range, they can not access the Internet.
I guess Ending IP does not mean what I think it means.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

OK, so it was explained to me that when a device accesses the network, it takes the first DHCP offered to it. In this case the AP on Network B was reaching back through the bridge to assign IPs before the R6400 could respond. I didn't know it could do that.Silly me, I thought it would only assign them on Network B, where it was set up as the AP.

The solution was to turn off DHCP on network B, and let the R6400 assign the IPs on both networks. I didn't know it could work that way, either!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies

The plot thickens, as I open the DHCP client list on router B (AP) . It shows these devices with IP addresses above 100 as being on its client list. Mostly android devices, but even my Roku which is which has an address reservation of 5, and is wired to the main router.
So maybe my real confusion is that Access Point does not mean what I think it means.

Message 2 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @artworksmetal,

That is indeed a strange behavior since the router should assign IP addresses within the DHCP pool. You can either set static IP addresses to your devices or connect all the devices to network A first then do Address Reservation and do the same for the devices that will connect to network B.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 3 of 5

OK, so it was explained to me that when a device accesses the network, it takes the first DHCP offered to it. In this case the AP on Network B was reaching back through the bridge to assign IPs before the R6400 could respond. I didn't know it could do that.Silly me, I thought it would only assign them on Network B, where it was set up as the AP.

The solution was to turn off DHCP on network B, and let the R6400 assign the IPs on both networks. I didn't know it could work that way, either!

Message 4 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @artworksmetal,

Thank you for the confirmation. Glad to know it is working to your preference now.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7