× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help with wifi router choice

bigmoe80
Guide

Help with wifi router choice

ok my router ac1900 r7000 just went out on me so not sure if i want the same router so been doing some research and I'm confused on 

Wi-Fi 5 vs Wi-Fi 6 

Dual band vs Triband

and what features is best to get for example beamforming mu mimo ofdma and so any help would be greatly appreciated thanks 

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Wifi 6 is wireless AX. 

I'd recommend going that route. Its finally getting a little more mature than release and more devices are being released with it. 

Triband is nice if you have alot of devices as you can spread them out a little more. But if you don't have a ton of devices, a dual band would be fine. 

What speeds do you pay for? 
How many devices are you trying to support and what are they used for? (gaming, streaming, etc)

How big is your home? (mesh might be an idea if the home is big enough)

Message 2 of 9
bigmoe80
Guide

ok thanks for reply

i have 5 wifi sec cams 3 to 4 firesticks 3 to 4 cpus my ps4 comcast stream box and my current plan is the 900mb at the moment 

i may change to lower plan if comcast keeps messing up my plan lol 

home is about 1500sqft total

Message 3 of 9
bigmoe80
Guide

also forgot to mention im using comcast xfi box i think its the x6 white one so its workin really well but want something of my own so i can

give them back theirs

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

at that size home, a single router solution should work fine (if the home's interior walls aren't brick/adobe/etc that blocks wifi). 

You wouldn't need a triband to cover your setup but you don't have to avoid them either if they're on sale. 

I'm a fan of renewed ones on amazon as they're super cheap and you can get an aftermarket warranty through amazon. 

But some people don't like renewed. I'd take a look on there. There's an rax50 for under a hundred on there. Plus others that are pretty solid. 

Message 5 of 9
bigmoe80
Guide

oh oka yes im a fan of renewed also long as i can get a warranty well i do have walls one side of house is the rooms and other side

is kitchen dining etc... i really want my front door camera to get plenty of coverage cause router is back room and has the signal has to reach to the front of house to cams and my carport cams are good but i want to make sure they have good signal also

Message 6 of 9
bigmoe80
Guide

oh forgot to ask what about beaforiming ofmda etc...

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

They're part of the wifi 6 spec. So if you're going with a wifi 6 router, it should have it. 

Message 8 of 9
bigmoe80
Guide

ok thanks for help its my bedtime lol work early am i may ask for help or need your input thanks for help goodnight

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7