× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hooking up r6250 router with cameras to existing network

Jamie_B
Initiate

Hooking up r6250 router with cameras to existing network

I have a wireless network in my home.  I have a n300 router in the house(network name home) and an ac1200 wifi range extender(network name home_2) in the house, too.  They are all working well.

I have a camera setup out in the shop wired into a r6250 wifi router.  

I'm trying to get everything to play together.  Ultimately I'd like to be able to view the camera (It uses flir software) when I'm not at home to view the camera feeds.  I'd really like to be able to use the router in the shop like a repeater (if possible) to extend my wifi range on my property, but that's second priority to getting the camera feed going.

So far I have tried running it as an access point, to no avail.  I have turned off dhcp to the r6250 and made the network name and password the same as the regular network, but that didn't work either.

I just tried these again today, I haven't worked on it for quite some time and decided it has to get done.  I don't remember what all else I've tried.

Any suggestions on getting this to work?  Thanks!

Jamie

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Hooking up r6250 router with cameras to existing network

Since your camera is wired into your R6250, you can use bridge mode.  See page 95 in the manual.

Unfortunately, wireless devices cannot connect to the R6250 while it's operating in bridge mode.  But the fact of the matter is that none of Netgear's routers are good candidates to operate as repeaters.  As far as Netgear is concerned, wireless repeating is a domain reserved for their range extenders.

Since you have a range extender in your house, perhaps you could consider the following.  Move the extender to the shop and have it connect to the Wi-Fi network in the house.  The extender can handle both wired and wireless clients.  Move the R6250 into the house and wire it to the N300 router via Ethernet or Powerline.  Then operate the R6250 in AP Mode to provide the same expanded Wi-Fi coverage that your extender was providing.  It should be faster because a wired AP is much more efficient than a wireless range extender.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Since your camera is wired into your R6250, you can use bridge mode.  See page 95 in the manual.

Unfortunately, wireless devices cannot connect to the R6250 while it's operating in bridge mode.  But the fact of the matter is that none of Netgear's routers are good candidates to operate as repeaters.  As far as Netgear is concerned, wireless repeating is a domain reserved for their range extenders.

Since you have a range extender in your house, perhaps you could consider the following.  Move the extender to the shop and have it connect to the Wi-Fi network in the house.  The extender can handle both wired and wireless clients.  Move the R6250 into the house and wire it to the N300 router via Ethernet or Powerline.  Then operate the R6250 in AP Mode to provide the same expanded Wi-Fi coverage that your extender was providing.  It should be faster because a wired AP is much more efficient than a wireless range extender.

Message 2 of 3
Jamie_B
Initiate

I finally had a chance to work on this.  I changed it to bridge mode and got everything configured. I can now access the cameras from my phone, and that was the main goal.  Thanks!

Jamie

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7