Re: Horizontal Installation of WNDR4500

NetGearUser54
Novice

Horizontal Installation of WNDR4500

I'm replacing a Linksys router with the WNDR4500 and a 8 port gigabit switch attached. The placement will require a horizontal installation which should be ok, signal strength wise, because the wireless receivers are on the floor above the unit. No feet are provided for the unit and I would like to remove the plastic stand.

1. Does removing the stand void the warranty?

2. Should the unit be raised on feet? If so, how much space is required underneath.

3. Are radiation maps for the antenna available?
Message 1 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

removing any items forcefully or disassemble is against warranty

vent on router is design to escape heat went standing up so by laying flat can cause heat issues.

radiation on router should have better horizontal spread more than vertical so if you lay flat it will do the opposite.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 5
mediatrek
Virtuoso

NetGearUser54 wrote:
I'm replacing a Linksys router with the WNDR4500 and a 8 port gigabit switch attached. The placement will require a horizontal installation which should be ok, signal strength wise, because the wireless receivers are on the floor above the unit. No feet are provided for the unit and I would like to remove the plastic stand.

1. Does removing the stand void the warranty?

2. Should the unit be raised on feet? If so, how much space is required underneath.

3. Are radiation maps for the antenna available?

Yes removing the stand will void your Netgear warranty. In addition, the vertical design with a non-removable stand was a design feature to help prevent the router from overheating. Putting the WNDR4500 on its side (horizontally) does not let the hot air properly escape the casing causing the unit to overheat. If you look at the unit you will see vents all the way around the edge of the unit which let the hot air escape when standing vertically.

As far as radiation maps, I have yet to see the FCC release a RF report on the unit. You can look up the unit on the FCC e-filings site by its FCC ID# PY311200162.
Message 3 of 5
NetGearUser54
Novice

Thanks for the quick replies. the radiation map is a moot point if I can't install it horizontally. It goes back to Newegg tomorrow.
Message 4 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

you can did whatever you want but you are creating my heat issues so unless you want be sure that it can handle, you may need mod the case and put some fans which means you go without warranty.
Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos