How best to improve my router's range

markinspain
Novice

How best to improve my router's range

Hi,

My current setup is that my main PC and the router (as well as a wireless printer) are one one floor and other devices that I connect to wirelessly are on the floor below. I have my Bluray player connected on the 5GHz band and streaming is fine for all but the highest birate video. I would like to solve that issue by improving the WiFi signal downstairs by using something like the WNDR3300 (which is pretty cheap on Amazon) as a repeater.

My thinking is that I'd benefit from a better signal strength for other devices connected to the router (Wii, phones, laptop).

Is this the best solution? I have considered using powerline adaptors, but I don't trust the wiring Smiley Happy

Mark
Message 1 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: How best to improve my router's range

Place router on side if currently standing up. This may also help distribute in vertical but check any heat issues

Look at extender wnce3001 for 5ghz
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 6
kurtchi
Aspirant

It won't repeat dualband connection but only a single band.. instead of buying WNDR3300, consider the WN2500RP which is a dualband extender..
Message 3 of 6
kurtchi
Aspirant

Im not sure why my current message did not show.. anyway, consider buying WN2500rp instead of WNDR3300.. WNDR3300 won't repeat dualband connection, aside from that it will only run 54mbps..
Message 4 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Im not sure why my current message did not show.

you need to WAIT> approval takes few minutes.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 6
theTechman05
Aspirant

kurtchi wrote:
Im not sure why my current message did not show.. anyway, consider buying WN2500rp instead of WNDR3300.. WNDR3300 won't repeat dualband connection, aside from that it will only run 54mbps..

you could experiment the wn3000rp since that though single 2.4 band , does get a good signal even though mine had red light and new firmware. Remember you have the new dual band repeater for 79u.s.d , just remember to review it.

You don'y have to repeat both presuming they're different ssid addresses.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements