× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How can I make the Orbi RBK50 router work as a satellite

LievenC
Follower

How can I make the Orbi RBK50 router work as a satellite

I have the RBK50 router with one satellite. This is not enough to cover my house (lots of concrete). I would like to buy a Orbi RBK53S set and use my previous RBK50 + satellite both as satellites of the RBK53S. Is this possible and how can I make this work?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: How can I make the Orbi RBK50 router work as a satellite

Is it possible to convert an rbr50 to a satellite? yes. 

Can you do it using netgear offical firmware? no. 

It requires flashing one of the RBR50's with firmware to turn it into a rbs50 and it isn't supported. Especially on the official netgear forum.

it also puts you at a significant risk of bricking the rbr. 

You could try googling something like "convert rbr50 to rbs50" should you choose to try it. 

I'd probably just look at selling it and buying another satellite. if you want amazon, they're routinely selling the RBS40V for around that $100. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: How can I make the Orbi RBK50 router work as a satellite

Is it possible to convert an rbr50 to a satellite? yes. 

Can you do it using netgear offical firmware? no. 

It requires flashing one of the RBR50's with firmware to turn it into a rbs50 and it isn't supported. Especially on the official netgear forum.

it also puts you at a significant risk of bricking the rbr. 

You could try googling something like "convert rbr50 to rbs50" should you choose to try it. 

I'd probably just look at selling it and buying another satellite. if you want amazon, they're routinely selling the RBS40V for around that $100. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7