How do I block all traffic from different countries?

DoctorWho
Aspirant

How do I block all traffic from different countries?

I maybe over reacting, but given the number of malware and viruses hitting either my family members or people at work, I can't help it. I've heard that a majority of viruses, malware, etc, comes from China and Russia. So, how do I block all traffic from both of those countries with my Netgear 3700 router?
Message 1 of 5
Scubbie
Apprentice

Re: How do I block all traffic from different countries?

One method you would first need to identify all the blocks of IP Addresses used by those countries. The fun bit is that the nasty sites are not always hosted in Russia or China and will soon change their IP address when they find it is being blocked.

Could I suggest that you download and install "Advanced System Care"? One of the things that this program does is to add a host of sites which are considered naughty to your computer's blocked sites list.

Unfortunately these days you need to use a combination of AV, Firewall and anti-malware software. You need to perform regular updates and scan you computers and other devices on a regular basis.
Message 2 of 5
jlewter
Guide

In reality, the router (all routers) is/are blocking all traffic from every IP on the internet by default. There may be a few routers that have open ports, you may have port forwarding rules set up, or your computer and other devices may have ports open and you may not know it through the use of UPnP.

Most Malware/Virii are spread through either file sharing, Email, or Rogue web pages. There are key rules to using your pc that are going to help keep it clean. Email is really the key area that most people do not watch properly, If your family/friends send you an email that has a single attachment or a link to a webpage then you shouldn't open it. Most of the times you will expect pictures/whatever and know when you should be opening attachments.

Web pages are quite complicated. A web page ending in .RU (Russians TLD) may be hosted in the USA. Your ISP's DNS server is going to look up the IP and as that's located in your country then you cant block it. So you will be viewing a page in the USA with the exploit. That is, It's not going to be easily possible to block that.

If you need UPnP then ports can be opened. If you dont need UPnP then turn it off. Without explaining it a lot I'll just say that if you have an XBox, or use any file sharing programs that you will probably want to leave it on.

Illegal file sharing is rampant, don't take this as an accusation, and a lot of malware/spyware can be put out there through files that have the nasty stuff embedded in them. I will admit that back in the 90's I would trade mp3's (and often buy the albums I liked, mp3's were low quality compressions then as most people had dialup). These days people are tempted to download movies, songs, and softare and I cant stress how unsafe this can be.

I have never used IOS Advanced System Care. As an all in one package it looks okay, and for someone who does not have any tools it may be a good start. The program looks safe to use but you should be wary of software before you download it to "fix" problems. The warning is not about Advanced System Care, It's just a general warning because a lot of people will load a PC down with so much software that fixing the issues result in a pc working worse than before.

Blocking all IP's from Russia and China is just not going to work for a home connection, and not for this router. The best thing to do is learn when to not open things that can infect your pc.
Message 3 of 5
Marto731
Aspirant

To Dr Who,
As previous speakers have said, you cannot easily distinguish traffic from different countries by IP address. This would not solve your problem anyway.
Points by JLewter re emails are well made.

The DGN3700 can block specific websites, but cannot block trojans, or malware. You would need to keep Anti-virus up to date.

I would like you to consider a Unified Thread management device, ie UTM5 or UTM9S for your home/ business.

Regards,
Marto,
Netgear
NETGEAR ReadyNAS Former Employee-- Tech Support & Documentation
Contact Information: http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/default.aspx
Message 4 of 5
x509
Tutor

Marto73 wrote:
To Dr Who,
As previous speakers have said, you cannot easily distinguish traffic from different countries by IP address. This would not solve your problem anyway.
Points by JLewter re emails are well made.

The DGN3700 can block specific websites, but cannot block trojans, or malware. You would need to keep Anti-virus up to date.

I would like you to consider a Unified Thread management device, ie UTM5 or UTM9S for your home/ business.

Regards,
Marto,
Netgear

Just plain old anti-virus isn't enough. At a minimum, each PC needs to have "full suite" security from one of the well-known vendors like Symantec. Your ISP may give you full suite security software for free from one of the vendors.

You also need to practice "safe computing," which is a whole long list of things, and I don't want to fill up this message. No software can protect you from carelessness, shall we say.
Home LAN includes 2 Win 7 desktops, 2 Win 7 laptops, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 "smart" TV. ISP is Comcast.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E