× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I remove users from my Wi Fi and block them on a Netgear N600 Model # WND3400V2?

JohnnyWB
Tutor

How do I remove users from my Wi Fi and block them on a Netgear N600 Model # WND3400V2?

I now have way to many people that can access my wifi network and I want to remove them.  They uneccessarily clog my system and keep me from using my own network most times and talking to them is useless.  Is there a way to remove and/or block them from using my network?  Also I am having, for some reason, an IP address conflict with another computer in the house, laptop that apparently is mirroring my main one.  Any help on that possibly?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do I remove users from my Wi Fi and block them on a Netgear N600 Model # WND3400V2?

@JohnnyWB wrote:

So, if I changed the SSID and password, all those that are logged on will no longer be able to get on unless I allow them? 

They will need the password to get on.

The SSID is just another tweak. It means that they will not see the same wifi network that they used to login to the network. You don't really have to change that. The important thing is to get a new "passphrase".

You should also ensure that you have security set to demand a wifi password. Some modem/routers allow you to create open networks that anyone can join. You don't want the security options set to "None".

The manual for your modem explains all this. Look at the section "Guest Network Wireless Security Options".

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies

Re: How do I remove users from my Wi Fi and block them on a Netgear N600 Model # WND3400V2?

The easiest option would probably be to change the wifi password. Perhaps even the SSID.

That way you block the lot and don't have to do it per user.

But don't write the new password on the fridge door.

Message 2 of 6
JohnnyWB
Tutor

So, if I changed the SSID and password, all those that are logged on will no longer be able to get on unless I allow them? 

Message 3 of 6
JohnnyWB
Tutor

Now also along this same vane, it also shows there is another computer with the same IP address.  Is that something I need to go to my internet provider with?

Message 4 of 6

@JohnnyWB wrote:

They will need the password to get on.

The SSID is just another tweak. It means that they will not see the same wifi network that they used to login to the network. You don't really have to change that. The important thing is to get a new "passphrase".

You should also ensure that you have security set to demand a wifi password. Some modem/routers allow you to create open networks that anyone can join. You don't want the security options set to "None".

The manual for your modem explains all this. Look at the section "Guest Network Wireless Security Options".

Message 5 of 6

@JohnnyWB wrote:

Now also along this same vane, it also shows there is another computer with the same IP address.

That could be anything. It may just be a local IP address.

Is this on the wireless network?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7