× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do i change authentication algorithm from CHAP to MS-CHAPv2? Model N 300 JWNR2000v2

FGG
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do i change authentication algorithm from CHAP to MS-CHAPv2? Model N 300 JWNR2000v2

Hello.

My ISP messaged me, that they will change authentication algorithm from CHAP to MS-CHAPv2 soon, and asked me to check my router settings to make sure it's on AUTO mode.

But i couldn't find anything like this. Does my router even have that function and compatible with MS-CHAPv2?

Model: JWNR2000v2|Wireless- N 300 Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do i change authentication algorithm from CHAP to MS-CHAPv2? Model N 300 JWNR2000v2

@FGG wrote:

My ISP messaged me, that they will change authentication algorithm from CHAP to MS-CHAPv2 soon, and asked me to check my router settings to make sure it's on AUTO mode.

But i couldn't find anything like this. Does my router even have that function and compatible with MS-CHAPv2?

The JWNR2000v2 is an old (2011 and based on a 2009 model) that was never that sophisticated.

This seems to be more likely to be a modem level setting. And LTE modems at that.

A quick search of Netgear's manuals suggest that "CHAP" is for network hardware, such as switches, or LTE Modems.

And the LBR20 4G LTE WiFi Orbi Router and WBC502 are two of three devices that even mention MS-CHAP.

Which ISP is this?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How do i change authentication algorithm from CHAP to MS-CHAPv2? Model N 300 JWNR2000v2

If that feature is not listed in the web page or user manual, then I presume this model router doesn't support it. 

Usually thats a hire level authentication system used in other platforms like MS and such. 

Message 2 of 8

@FGG wrote:

The JWNR2000v2 is an old (2011 and based on a 2009 model) that was never that sophisticated.

This seems to be more likely to be a modem level setting. And LTE modems at that.

A quick search of Netgear's manuals suggest that "CHAP" is for network hardware, such as switches, or LTE Modems.

And the LBR20 4G LTE WiFi Orbi Router and WBC502 are two of three devices that even mention MS-CHAP.

Which ISP is this?

Message 3 of 8
FGG
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is local ISP i think they provide internet services for my city only and somewhere around it. (Mark-ITT if you really want to know)

Well it is time to buy a new router i guess.

Message 4 of 8

@FGG wrote:

Well it is time to buy a new router i guess.

Netgear doesn't seem to make any that support that strange requirement.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are rare. So you might need to ask the ISP which hardware will work on its network.

@FGG wrote:

(Mark-ITT if you really want to know)

Russian?

Message 5 of 8
FGG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes Russia, Izhevsk. 

Message 6 of 8

@FGG wrote:

Yes Russia, Izhevsk. 

Good luck.

Message 7 of 8
FGG
Aspirant
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

Good luck.

Thank you.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7