× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How in the world do I fix my Netgear N300 Wireless Router?

ukhanjemb
Follower

How in the world do I fix my Netgear N300 Wireless Router?

I've looked through posts but they're still over my head. I have no idea what I need to do here. What is the log-in thing I need to do with the generic password? (login = admin, password = password) It doesn't work anyway. Tried resetting to factory setting, have no idea if that button did anything. Tried to call customer service and ended up talking to a private support company which seemed like a scam. Can some help me with some clear instructions that have proven to work? I'm sick of the bull**bleep**! THX

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What model is this NG router, WNDR#####?

Press the reset button for 10 seconds then release. Have 1 wired PC connected to the back. Use a web browser to walk thru the setup wizard at 192.168.1.1 or routerlogin.com

This is a fairly old model router. You might consider upgrading to something a bit newer.

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

@ukhanjemb wrote:

I've looked through posts but they're still over my head. I have no idea what I need to do here. What is the log-in thing I need to do with the generic password? (login = admin, password = password) It doesn't work anyway. Tried resetting to factory setting, have no idea if that button did anything. Tried to call customer service and ended up talking to a private support company which seemed like a scam. Can some help me with some clear instructions that have proven to work? I'm sick of the bull**bleep**! THX

Like @FURRYe38 says, what actual model do you have? 

when you factory reset, did you push and hold for up to 15 seconds while it was powered on? 

What did the lights do? 

If you talked to a private support place, more than likely you did call a scam site. But either way, if its an N300 routers, its not likely to be new. netgear only has free support for the first 90 days of purchase. 

You might also look at upgrading. N300 is pretty significantly slow performance now days. Unless you're on really slow dsl, its going to bottleneck your network. A simple upgrade to a gigabit dual band router will have a pretty solid performance increase. 

Message 3 of 5

@ukhanjemb wrote:

I've looked through posts but they're still over my head. I have no idea what I need to do here. What is the log-in thing I need to do with the generic password? (login = admin, password = password) It doesn't work anyway.

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Look for the model number on the label on the device.

model number

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Begin with the Quick Start/Installation Guide.

There may also be some helpful videos on what to do.

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 4 of 5
wcalifas
Prodigy

to log in with the generic (admin=admin and password=password) you need to press the reset button for like 30 seconds and it will reset your router back to factory default and you'll be able to change whatever settings you want. Let us know what happens.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7