× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How much data transfer speed should I expect from Netgear r6400v2 using SSD on usb 3.0 ?

Kuttoosssan
Aspirant

How much data transfer speed should I expect from Netgear r6400v2 using SSD on usb 3.0 ?

Router - R6400v2

SSD - Samsung T5 500GB

Cable - Cat 6

How much speed should I get while transferring from PC to SSD via Ethernet?

This is what I get on LAN Speed test, (attached photo)

On actual movie file transfer test also, I get maximum 24MB/s only.

Is this a limitation of the router?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: How much data transfer speed should I expect from Netgear r6400v2 using SSD on usb 3.0 ?

@Kuttoosssan wrote:

Thank you for the reply.

Is this because the actual router capacity is limited?

Or is it a firmware limitation?

It tends to be a hardware limit. When you start needing faster speeds, you need the hardware designed to run it and not a router with the included funcationality. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: How much data transfer speed should I expect from Netgear r6400v2 using SSD on usb 3.0 ?

a lot depends on file type/size/format. But you're speed look roughly in line with what smallnetbuilder got when testing usb speeds.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32812-netgear-r6400-ac1750-smart-wifi-rout...

If you're needing faster speeds, its better to actually invest in an actual NAS device or server. 

Message 2 of 4
Kuttoosssan
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@Kuttoosssan wrote:

Thank you for the reply.

It tends to be a hardware limit. When you start needing faster speeds, you need the hardware designed to run it and not a router with the included funcationality. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7