Highlighted
Aspirant

How to Set Device's Time?

Is this possible, I really can't find anywhere where to set device's own time?
No NTP / manual settings? Under Content Filter/Schedule is says TimeZone and that Time is now xxx.. 2003.. :mad
Message 1 of 30
Highlighted
Prodigy

Re: How to Set Device's Time?

Once connected to the internet via either DSL port or the WAN port the device should get its time set automatically. Other than setting the time zone I've found nowhere to specify a NTP server or manually set the clock.
D7000v2 / DGND3700v1
Message 2 of 30
Highlighted
Aspirant

Well, it did not Update.. I use WAN port where my BridgeADSL is and it was already connected to the net.

There really should be manual/refresh function somewhere.. All other devices has.:mad:
Message 3 of 30
Highlighted
Prodigy

Have you checked to see if port 123 (NTP) is blocked somewhere? Can you use the ADSL directly to your DGND3700 rather than go through a bridged ADSL modem to see if the time updates correctly?
D7000v2 / DGND3700v1
Message 4 of 30
Highlighted
Aspirant

No, everyting is open. I really would like to use this Device's ADSL modem, but AnnexM is missing, hence good old Zyxcel 660-D1 is better bridge for WAN access.:mad:
Message 5 of 30
Highlighted
Novice

jeremysup wrote:
Under Content Filter/Schedule is says TimeZone and that Time is now xxx.. 2003.. :mad

I have exactly the same issue! Any time I restart the DGND3700, the time goes to Wednesday, 01 Jan 2003 01:00:00. Normally it wouldn't bother me too much, however this is also the timestamp that shows on any files I copy to the connected USB drive.

I spoke to Netgear support, and they've told me to return the unit for a replacement. I only bought it 2 days ago. When I asked how to verify the NTP server details, or even find a log that says what's happening, I was told there is nothing. Surely this is all basic functionality???

What kind of crazy device doesn't let you manually set the date / time? :eek:

Keen to hear any thoughts / suggestions.

Thanks!
Message 6 of 30
Highlighted
Virtuoso

seems NTP server must be down been few are reporting with issues in the past few days
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 30
Highlighted
Aspirant

starmans77 wrote:
I spoke to Netgear support, and they've told me to return the unit for a replacement. I only bought it 2 days ago. When I asked how to verify the NTP server details, or even find a log that says what's happening, I was told there is nothing. Surely this is all basic functionality???
What kind of crazy device doesn't let you manually set the date / time? :eek:

WTF!! RMA for that!? FTLOG, What kind of F**** moran-coders are the at NetGear! Even Cheap-ass devices beat some of the functionalities hands-down.

IT does not matter if Their NTP is down, All my other devices (NAS/Routers) have manual NTP section and REFRESH BUTTON!:mad::mad:
Message 8 of 30
Highlighted
Novice

I have the same issue - I've only realised when I tried to use the Traffic Meter feature, but now that the dates are incorrect it's data is useless.
Message 9 of 30
Highlighted
Aspirant

My DGN2200 does the same and when I tracert it, it stalls.

I have been contacting support yesterday who confirm that they can see the same problem when they try it.

There is no ETA.

My VPN is also a problem.

I wonder if the date and time is needed to provide encryption with both sides.
Message 10 of 30
Highlighted
Aspirant

Having same problem here

since lately no more time/date sync for my DGND3700 ... date is on Jan 2003 was fine until lately. The startup log no longer show "sync time with server" when modem is booting.
Message 11 of 30
Highlighted
Novice

jmizoguchi wrote:
seems NTP server must be down been few are reporting with issues in the past few days

The guy I spoke to about this at Netgear "support" told me the modem picks up the time from my ISPs NTP servers. I found this hard to believe. I thought Netgear operated their own NTP servers. Happy to be proven wrong. Either way, I'm with TPG if that gives any extra clues.

Was going to take it back for a replacement tomorrow, but might hold off a day or two to see what comes of this. Its also a pain to have to pack it up again and go through that whole process!
Message 12 of 30
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have noticed the same problem with the NTP server on my DGN2200.

I have also noticed that now the DynDNS registration of the new IP address doesn't happen either. Smiley Sad
Message 13 of 30
Highlighted
Aspirant

starmans77 wrote:
The guy I spoke to about this at Netgear "support" told me the modem picks up the time from my ISPs NTP servers. ...Either way, I'm with TPG if that gives any extra clues.

I am with Bigpond and not working either
Message 14 of 30
Highlighted
Novice

I'm also with TPG - but it seems the ISP isn't the common denominator. I just mentioned this issue to a colleague at work, he has the DGND3300v2 and it has the option to set an NTP server. Why was this feature taken out?
Message 15 of 30
Highlighted
Virtuoso

wrightmt wrote:
Why was this feature taken out?
Most likely related to this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTP_ser...suse_and_abuse I've been on the Netgear forums for the last ten years, and it seems like the time server dies every year (like clockwork) for a few days at a time (it's the length of time the server is down that I struggle to understand).
Message 16 of 30
Highlighted
Aspirant

Nowadays most time server allow only 1 sync in 24 hours per IP - abuse is no longer possible.

Still the modem should have at least 1 ntp backup server in place to sync on
Was this my old DGN2000 that had the option to set 3 ntp servers as backup?

not impressed with the DGND3700 :mad:
Message 17 of 30
Highlighted
Aspirant

Okay, ntp seems to be back up and working
Message 18 of 30
Highlighted
Novice
Novice

My DG834N has ceased to pick up any replies from the NTP servers for the past few days. As far as I can tell Netgear do have their own time servers and it would seem that they have gone down. Hope the problem is solved soon.
Message 19 of 30
Highlighted
Virtuoso

WebSurfer593 wrote:
Nowadays most time server allow only 1 sync in 24 hours per IP - abuse is no longer possible.

But that won't stop the routers trying to contact the server, in the case of the University of Wisconsin server up to 250,000 packets per second before the problem was recognised as caused by Netgear routers, and to this day they still see floods of up to 100,000 packets per second occasionally.
Message 20 of 30
Highlighted
Novice

Yep... seems the time is all good on mine now too.

Some helpful tips to Netgear if I may:
1- PLEASE reintroduce the ability to modify the time / date on DGND3700. I don't mind how you do this, but anything would be better than being bound to a failed server.
2- When you have outages that affect end users, please notify your tech support operators, so they don't advise customers to contact their ISP and return the "faulty" unit to the store for a replacement.

Other than that, very happy with the new modem. Just goes to show though how a simingly small issue can become very iritating.

--- steps off soap box ----
Message 21 of 30
Highlighted
Apprentice

The Netgear forums and their Website have been struggling in recent days.

There have been reports on a couple of UK forums relating to specific ports too that have been slower than normal since just before last weekend.

I suspect there is someone out there having lots of fun at everyone else's expense once more.
Message 22 of 30
Highlighted
Aspirant

Mars Mug wrote:
... the problem was recognised as caused by Netgear routers, and to this day they still see floods of up to 100,000 packets per second occasionally.

ouch, yes, Netgear's firmware should be smarter than that, really! Talking about fetching time with every reboot and such :rolleyes:

btw, why not get system time when ntp is down? would help a lot Smiley Tongue
Message 23 of 30
Highlighted
Virtuoso

take your 2cents to netgear directly.. Smiley Happy my.netgear.com portal
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 24 of 30
Highlighted
Virtuoso

WebSurfer593 wrote:
btw, why not get system time when ntp is down? would help a lot Smiley Tongue

I assume you mean the system currently configuring the router? Alternative NTP servers would be a good idea (Netgear do have more than one by the way). But perhaps a better idea might be to make sure the servers are properly operating redundantly and when there is a situation like we have seen recently that the reaction to resolve the issue is faster than a few days.
Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements