× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to add a mac address access control

Jellicoe
Tutor

How to add a mac address access control

I am a bit confused here. I see that there is the access control page, but I can not figure out how to add a new iPad?

Rachael

Message 1 of 20
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I’m at work at the moment, and don’t have access to the ‘4500 manual to check, but I suggest that you temporarily disable the Wireless Access List, let the iPad connect, then enable the list and select the iPad as a trusted device.
Message 2 of 20
Jellicoe
Tutor

From what I have gathered from the forums, the access control function has been disabled on the WNDR4500.

But we will see what happens when the new ipad arrives on the 4th.

Thanks Andy
Message 3 of 20
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, maybe so. As a security control it’s of negligible value, and given the number of problems reported on the forums over the years I’d say it’s of questionable value as a way of controlling device connections.
Message 4 of 20
dheeru
Aspirant

Which router can max mac filter?

Which router can max mac filter?
Message 5 of 20
Jellicoe
Tutor

Well, after hours of messing around with the router and it not being able to see my iPad while the other router did, I tossed the Netgear Router and just connected everything to the Motorola router that came with the DSL. Everything works. I will look for a new dual band router later and not let my brother upgrade the firmware.

The WDNR4500 has always been trouble, and I just got tired of it. I got that router so I can print from my iPad, but that never really worked without messing everything up with apps on the iPad and then it was a pain in the buns to print from the desktop.

So thanks for your help. One less router and a bunch less problems

Rachael
Message 6 of 20

All hardware versions v1, v2 & v3 of the 4500 FW support MAC address filtering which name was changed to Access Control on or about FW version xxx.38 to conform with naming conventions used on other Netgear wireless products. In later versions of the FW, select Advanced tab (top) > Expand Security (left pane) > Select Access Control (left pane) > and finally press View list of allowed devices (carat) below the list of allowed device on the Access Control page. Then press Add. I assure you, the 4500 is much more powerful and will do a better job that any motorolla based router/modem available. If you want to print seamlessly from your iOS or Android device, buy a true network printer or one that is AirPrint capable and stop relying on Genie (which is nothing more than a gimmick) or bandaids to make something work differently than it was intended.
Message 7 of 20
Jellicoe
Tutor

The access control screen I get is nothing like that. I will research and get another dual band router that works the way I want it to work, but in no way will it be from netgear. I have been disappointed in netgear ever since I got the router because the printing function never worked and the bad at the time tech support. Not being able to connect my new iPad was the last straw which caused the router to be placed in the trash. Netgear = never again.
Message 8 of 20
makcpa
Aspirant

I, too used to be able to add mac addresses manually. Not any more.
I am on version V1.0.1.40_1.0.68
The only option button I have on that screen is DELETE.
Message 9 of 20
phxace
Aspirant

Same problem. I enabled Access Control, which worked for all available devices, but now I cannot add a new device, even when I disable Access Control.

Reset to factory?:confused:
Message 10 of 20

This is the screen you see after pressing the Add button.

Enter MAC
Enter a name
Press Apply

Message 11 of 20
Johwwy
Tutor

I have firmware version V1.0.1.40_1.0.68 and it does not have option to add MAC address manually.
I cannot believe you guys have not seen this issue, when your test team was validating the new firmware.
This is a critical error in my opinion.

Trust and reputation are not something you have over overnight. BUT you can lose them overnight.

Please listen what customers are saying.
Message 12 of 20
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

But Shodowsports – Post 11 above has posted a screenshot showing the function available and he lists three versions of firmware in his signature, including the one you mention?
Message 13 of 20
uperez
Aspirant

Re: To add MAC address of my printer to my NETGEAR router (WNDR3400v2)

How to add MAC address of my printer (HP officejet Pro 8600 N911a) to my NETGEAR router (WNDR3400v2)? I cannot find any option to add MAC address to the router through NETGEAR genie!! Can you please help??

Thanks.

Message 14 of 20
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @uperez,

Welcome to the community!

Are you trying to add the MAC address for Access Control feature?

The Access Control feature is added if you upgrade the firmware of your router to the latest firmware version 1.0.0.52.

To upgrade the firmware of your router, see the instructions here.

Let us know what happens.

Message 15 of 20
uperez
Aspirant

Thanks, Elaine. I have upgraded the firmware to 52 from 38. I can see my printer is listed (MAC address) as allowed device to connect on the list but it is not connecting. I tried to connect the printer using the ssid and password but still it is not connecting. Please note that the same printer I connected wirelessly using the same rounter but now it is not connecting now.

Message 16 of 20
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@uperez Will it connect without Access Control feature enabled?

Do you have the correct password to connect the printer?

Other devices can connect with the Access Control enabled?

Looking forward to your response.

Message 17 of 20
uperez
Aspirant

It does not connect in any way. Yes, I have the correct password.

Actually, my router has dual bands and two SSIDs: Netgear 50 (2.4 GHZ band) & Netgear 50-5G (5 GHZ band). All my other devices connect to Netgear 50-5G, but not to Netgear 50. I created two separate passwords for two SSIDs. The printer can only find the Netgear 50-5G (5G) band, not the Netgear 50 (2.4G) band. Please advise.

Message 18 of 20
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@uperez No wireless devices can see the Netgear 50? Tried changing channel? Make sure SSID broadcast is enabled.

If you still can't see the SSID, verify if you have the latest firmware installed then reset after firmware upgrade.

See if it will do the same thing.

Message 19 of 20
3DogMom
Aspirant

Hey,

Thank you so much. Would you have any idea why devices are being shown with different MAC addresses in the "Connected Decives" screen, or how I can identify unknown devices connected (wired & wireless)?

Thank you!!

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7