Re: How to allow a mac address

wingdam
Star

How to allow a mac address

I just got the 4500 and am trying to figure out if I can allow some security cams I have to connect to the network by mac id.

They're good cams but are WEP only and I can either turn off security (which I won't do) or connect by mac ID.

I don't broadcast the ssid and I want to use passwords for all my equip except the cams. I see where I can block mac id's but not allow access.

Those were pretty expensive cams and I don't want to junk them

Any Ideas or help is welcomed.

Thanks
Message 1 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

wireless access list.

refer to manual of the router .
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 9
wingdam
Star

The manual refers to blocking a mac id, but does not deal with allowing a mac id to connect without a password.
Message 3 of 9
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Are you sure the router manual refers to blocking? The wireless access list is a list of accepted (allowed) MAC addresses.
Message 4 of 9
wingdam
Star

From the manual.
Wireless Card Access List. Click the Set Up Access List button display the Wireless Card Access List screen. On this screen you can restrict access to your network to specific devices based on their MAC address.

This appears that I can restrict access by mac, but I need to allow three cameras to connect by mac without a password. I used to be able to do this with another router, but it looks like I'm out of luck with this one.
Message 5 of 9
fordem
Mentor

Restrict access by MAC address will usually allow you to choose whether you wish allow or deny to be the default and then enter a list of MAC addresses that are considered exceptions - in other words - you can choose to deny all except the list or allow all except the list.

What would be extremely unusual is a situation such as you describe - one that allows a device access based on MAC address instead of an encryption key - usually the two access control schemes are separate - if you use MAC address filtering with blocking as the default, ALL the desired devices will have to be entered, and if you use encryption ALL the devices must support the same level of encryption.

There is one possible way around this - if the wireless access point or router supports multiple SSIDs - which is usually only available on corporate product. You may be able to use different type of encryption on the different SSIDs.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 6 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

wingdam wrote:
The manual refers to blocking a mac id, but does not deal with allowing a mac id to connect without a password.

When enabling the wireless access list , it will ONLY allow list of mac address listed in the router settings.

combination of WPA2 + mac address will control which mac address can connect even encryption are used.

While you will NOT able to have few devices to connect on encryption ONLY and legacy on mac address ONLY.

You can probably get unit like FVS318N and create multiple SSID which include Vlan so if someone mac spoof the one of the cam they can gain access to the network and since you still need to use rules to allow other pc to connect on other Vlan, you will end up compromise the security.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 9
wingdam
Star

It looks like the only way is to use the guest account, a complex ssid, don't broadcast it, turn off passwords on the guest, don't let guest access the net.

Now if I isolate the guest can I still access the ip of the security cam?
Message 8 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Now if I isolate the guest can I still access the ip of the security cam?

probably not. it defeat "isolate" ....unless you going to use unit like fvs318N and specifically make the rules .
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation