• 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

How to block access to router?

Hi everyone,

I currently have the 3800, and what I want to know is several things: I am currently connected hardwired on my main laptop to the router
-----------------

1) Being that Im hardwired in, do I still need to adjust anything on the router in making sure I am receiving the max internet speed? I am currently with Charter Communication, and I am receiving anywhere from 24-30mps speedtesting, however I want to make sure my speed is maxed out through the router. I went to Netgear Genie and under the INTERNET tab, I moved the bar at the bottom all the way to the right to 20Mbps. Is that what controls my traffic? If no, then how would I modify the router to allow my main laptop total speed access that it can receive?

2) I would like to know HOW to block a certain person that lives in my house? The problem I have is my roommates kid is on her Ipad 24/7 and I noticed her signal strength is 70%. I like to broadcast music over the internet, but everytime she gets on her Ipad, she SUCKS up the bandwidth terribly and thus I get disconnected from using Ustream to broadcast out any music. When I tell her to shut her device off, my bandwidth is fine.

So what I want to do is just block her access all together from connecting to my router, or if this cant be done, then how to adjust how much bandwidth usage is allowed on her device, to where when she connects she gets very low bandwidth usage?
===================

I wish there was an on/off switch on when to disconnect users from accessing my router and when they are allowed to. It seems the only way I can run my media broadcasts from my router is to tell my roommates to shut off their devices all together so that the Network Map only shows my one laptop connected hardwired to the router. Is there no other way?
Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

BLOCK on a 3800?

I have a 3800 router and I want to block access to someone in my house connecting to it via wifi. I heard this can be done through an IP address but how do you do it?

Im confused because under NETWORK MAP under Net Genie, it had the option to BLOCK this person, but after I selected BLOCK under the device in network map, I noticed that person is STILL connecting to my router.

I just want to know how to block the device or adjust how much bandwidth is allowed to the device because this person sucks up so much of my bandwidth, its not even funny.
Message 2 of 7
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: How to block access to router?

Make sure both radios in the router are using WPA2-PSK [AES]. Next use a very strong, but different, security passphrase on each radio. As long as no one gives her the passphrase, she will be permanently blocked. For your access to the wireless, enter the passphrase into the connecting wireless device. Alternatively, if you don't need the wireless, disable both radios.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 3 of 7
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I just want to know how to block the device or adjust how much bandwidth is allowed to the device because this person sucks up so much of my bandwidth, its not even funny.

In your case not sure if you want block 100% full time but sounds like you want the equal share of bandwidth so that you and other can.

Only way to control that is use bandwidth profile which not available in consumer line from Netgear. You need Prosafe router family to able to do that so that you can group it and from each group you can make bandwidth value to offer how much to those groups
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks guys. This gave me some good tips.
Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

How do I know if strangers have been able to access my wireless device (a free-rider problem) and how do I stop strangers from stealing bandwidth?
Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Mentor

Once you use a strong encryption key, no one without that key can connect to your wireless.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 7 of 7