× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to change the router's MAC address

ginnydee
Follower

How to change the router's MAC address

I am completely unfamiliar with all of this so I'll just try to make this as plain as I can.  I just purchased a new ROKU to replace an older modoel.  The older model was connected to my 2.4g connection.  I wanted to connect the new ROKU to the 5g connection I now have with my Netgear router.  I tried entering my name and password for the 5g to have the ROKU connect.  It said it couldn't connect and that possibly the problem might be the MAC address.  it asked me if my router blocked unknown MAC addresses and gave me a different MAC address. I opened my router info to modify my MAC address but it doesn't let me change it.  For now I'm just going to go back to the old 2.4g as it recognizes that name and password.  Can you help me out.Here's what I getHere's what I get

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
WHOA
Guide

There's a lot going on here.

@ginnydee wrote:

I wanted to connect the new ROKU to the 5g connection I now have with my Netgear router.

Are you certain the Roku is able to use the 5G band? If you're sure, are you using the correct SSID and passphrase for the 5G? The two bands do not have the same settings (just making certain you're aware).

@ginnydee wrote:

It said it couldn't connect and that possibly the problem might be the MAC address.

If you have "Access Control" enabled, that would be what this is talking about. You can go into your router's web admin page and disable access control or add the Roku's MAC address. It's listed under the "Security" tab, in "Advanced" settings.

@ginnydee wrote:

I opened my router info to modify my MAC address but it doesn't let me change it.

Yeah, you'd only be able to change the MAC from the device you're changing. The Roku would be changed on the Roku. You could change your router's MAC address from the router. I don't think you really need to do either in this situation.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
WHOA
Guide

There's a lot going on here.

@ginnydee wrote:

I wanted to connect the new ROKU to the 5g connection I now have with my Netgear router.

Are you certain the Roku is able to use the 5G band? If you're sure, are you using the correct SSID and passphrase for the 5G? The two bands do not have the same settings (just making certain you're aware).

@ginnydee wrote:

It said it couldn't connect and that possibly the problem might be the MAC address.

If you have "Access Control" enabled, that would be what this is talking about. You can go into your router's web admin page and disable access control or add the Roku's MAC address. It's listed under the "Security" tab, in "Advanced" settings.

@ginnydee wrote:

I opened my router info to modify my MAC address but it doesn't let me change it.

Yeah, you'd only be able to change the MAC from the device you're changing. The Roku would be changed on the Roku. You could change your router's MAC address from the router. I don't think you really need to do either in this situation.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7