How to configure IPv6 using tunnelbroker.net

nevvvw
Novice

How to configure IPv6 using tunnelbroker.net

Create an account at tunnel broker
Create a regular tunnel
Copy your IP to this location  v4 Endpoint (Your side):
It automatically selects the nearest tunnel server for you!
If not! Click one nearest to you
Then click create tunnel

At http://192.168.1.1

1) Click advanced
2) Click IPv6
3) Select 6to4 Tunnel
4) Select auto
5) Select auto config
6) Apply

You are done
Message 1 of 7
nevvvw
Novice

Re: How to configure IPv6 using tunnelbroker.net

Message 2 of 7
z3540
Onlooker

Thanks for the tutorial. I have a DOCSIS 3.0 router that is IPv6 ready. What is the advantage of using this? I have read that it will increase the number of available IP addresses to 2 to the power of 128 (128-bit addresses). I also read it will eliminate NAT, simplify address assignment, network renumbering, etc. I don't understand all that. Will this speed up internet surfing?:confused:
Message 3 of 7
KroontjesPen
Aspirant

nevvvw wrote:
Create an account at tunnel broker
Create a regular tunnel
Copy your IP to this location  v4 Endpoint (Your side):
It automatically selects the nearest tunnel server for you!
If not! Click one nearest to you
Then click create tunnel

At http://192.168.1.1

1) Click advanced
2) Click IPv6
3) Select 6to4 Tunnel
4) Select auto
5) Select auto config
6) Apply

You are done

Sadly you can only select a 6to4 tunnel and not a 6in4.
The test on http://test-ipv6.com/ give you because of that 2 times a 7/10 on the test results.
Message 4 of 7
KroontjesPen
Aspirant

z3540 wrote:
Thanks for the tutorial. I have a DOCSIS 3.0 router that is IPv6 ready. What is the advantage of using this? I have read that it will increase the number of available IP addresses to 2 to the power of 128 (128-bit addresses). I also read it will eliminate NAT, simplify address assignment, network renumbering, etc. I don't understand all that. Will this speed up internet surfing?:confused:

This has nothing to do with speeding up the internet. The number of IPv4 addresses are running out. New sites become the only access able trough IPv6. To use a tunnel you can access those sites even you have no IPv6 address become from you ISP.
Message 5 of 7
Chuck_s
Aspirant

The internet providers (lCox in my case) have yet to adopt IPv6. If Cox has it's a secret as their modems have IPv6 disabled in their firmware so I can't detect any.

As noted this just adds a "few" addresses. You may not able to link to long IPv6 addresses until your modem is re-provisioned by your carrier.

-- Chuck
Message 6 of 7
mrian84
Aspirant

I managed to set it using this setup, and all my devices in the network could access via ipv6. However how do I access a web server on the internal network from outside?

Also is there a way not to have the IPv6 address change on the internal devices?

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements