How to disable modem on Netgear modem routers

Milleniumaire
Aspirant

How to disable modem on Netgear modem routers

Hi everyone, I currently have a home network that has been working well for around 6 months. It includes two Netgear modem routers; DGND4000 and a Nighthawk R7000.

I currently have a "slow" ADSL BT broadband connection and the DGND4000 acts as a modem router as well as using DHCP to allocate IP addresses to my network. I have a number of static IP addresses on the network, so use IP address reservation on the DGND4000 to "protect" those. The Nighthawk R7000 is configured as an access point. The DGND4000 is positioned upstairs at one end of the house and directly connected to the master BT socket, whereas the R7000 is positioned downstairs at the other end of the house. Both devices are connected to a 1GB wired network and the SSID's of each wireless band is set to the same value. So, this allows wireless devices to move around the house and seemlessly switch between each router as there are only two networks (2.4GHz and 5GHz) rather than four separate networks (2 x 2.4GHz & 2 x 5GHz). It also means I can choose whether to connect a device to the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz. What I tend to do is ensure all "my" devices connect to the 5GHz and the rest of the family connect to the 2.4GHz network where they don't impact on my wireless speeds. But of course they do when it comes to the broadband connection, which is the bottleneck at only 4MBs.

So, what's my problem? Nothing with the current setup, it works well.

BT Infinity has arrived in my area and I signed up to their Infinity 2 (76MBs) package before Christmas and received a new BT Home Hub 5 a couple of days ago. BT Infinity 2 will be turned on tomorrow (Monday 26th). BT have moved from two separate devices (a VDSL modem and a wireless router) to a single modem router device and this is what is causing me problems.

I'm trying to incorporate the Home Hub 5 (HH5) into my existing network setup, but it isn't working. I have to use the HH5 as it has a VDSL modem (or is it VDSL2?) and this is required for Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC), however, I don't want to use the router side of the device as I'm happy with my existing DGND4000 and R7000, which work well, give me good range and have LOTS more features than the "simple" plug and play HH5 device.

Unfortunately, BT never thought to include functionality to allow the HH5 to be a modem only. A real ommision in my opinion. It is clearly aimed at being a plug and play device to make it simple for the masses to use, but it is very limited for more sophisticated users who want more control over the device and want to incorporate it into existing networks.

I have configured the HH5 as follows:
- Turned OFF DHCP and both wireless networks (2.4GHz and 5GHz).
- Changed its IP address to 192.168.0.254 (it comes with 192.168.1.254 as default, which is not compatible with my 192.168.0.* subnet).

I was hoping to be able to insert the HH5 between prior to my DGND4000, so that the DGND4000 would continue to be the DHCP device etc. for the network, unfortunately, whenever I include both the HH5 and DGND4000 on the network I don't get an internet connection. It's as though the DGND4000 is still trying to use its own modem and doesn't realise the modem on the HH5 has successfully connected to the internet. I've tried connecting these two devices in various ways; WAN to WAN, WAN to LAN Port and LAN Port to WAN, without success.

What I really need to do is to "turn off" the modem on the DGND4000 but this doesn't look to be possible. Correction, this is possible by configuring the DGND4000 to be an Access Point (AP), but then this disables DHCP and address reservation and I would rather use this on the DGND4000 than the HH5, which I want to be a simple modem.

I've looked at the possibility of making the DGND4000 an AP and the Nighthawk R7000 a full blown router, with DHCP turned on (remember, this is currently configured as an AP only), but I have exactly the same problem with that - I can't "turn off" the modem.

One solution would be to purchase a VDSL2 modem and to bin the HH5, but this would cost money and I'm sure there must be a solution to my problem, I just need advice on how to configure my network.

Is setting up the HH5 on a different subnet (192.168.1.*) and then bridging this to my existing network a possible solution? I'm not sure exactly how to do this or it it would be a solution. I guess it would stop my existing network (on the 192.168.0.* subnet) from "seeing" the HH5, but I still need to configure the DGND4000 to access the modem on the HH5!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
PS. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to include all relevant information.
Message 1 of 4

Re: How to disable modem on Netgear modem routers

Do you have to use the HomeHub?

As I understand it, you can't use the DGND4000 (I have one) as hub or AP only.

Sorry for the short response, my attention span won't let me read the rest.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 4
Milleniumaire
Aspirant

Re: How to disable modem on Netgear modem routers

michaelkenward wrote:
Do you have to use the HomeHub?

I don't have to use it, but I have it and using the HH5 would avoid having to purchase a VDSL/VDSL2 modem.

michaelkenward wrote:
As I understand it, you can't use the DGND4000 (I have one) as hub or AP only.

The DGND4000 CAN be configured as an AP only. I have already tried that, but unfortunately it turns off all the functionality I want to use, such as DHCP and address reservation. (I did say this towards the end of my ramble :))
Message 3 of 4
Milleniumaire
Aspirant

Re: How to disable modem on Netgear modem routers - SUCCESS!

Well, the lack of response from Netgear or anyone else is disappointing as it turns out this is a relatively simple thing to achieve.

The following article gave me the inspiration to solve this issue:

Setup a Second Wireles Router on Your Home Network

The title is a little misleading as in my network setup I already have two wireless routers and this is achieved by configuring one of them as an Access Point.

The trick to getting the HH5 to act as a modem is to put it in its own subnet and to then bridge between the two subnets identifying the HH5 as the WAN!

Here's some detail behind the configuration I performed:

HH5
Turn off both wifi bands
Turn off DHCP (probably not necessary, but I feel it is a cleaner solution)
Leave the IP range at the default (192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.256). This is the first of the three options.
Leave the IP address as 192.168.1.254
Plug the HH5 into the mains and into the telephone point. The blue light should eventually be shown indicating it has an internet connection.

DGND4000
This Netgear modem router has "everything" switched on i.e. DHCP, modem, wifi.
Set the IP address to 192.168.0.1 Note: this is a differnet subnet to the HH5 i.e. it is 192.168.0 rather than 192.168.1
The IP range for DHCP is set to 192.168.0.3 to 192.168.0.256. This is how it has always been set for my network. Note: the start IP address of 192.168.0.3 allows for 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 to be used for my two Netgear modem routers.
Now the clever bit:
Within the Internet settings, change the "Does your internet connection require a login?" to No. This had always been set to Yes on the DGND4000 along with the required account name and password. Setting it to No, removes the password field and provides additional fields to allow LAN details to be entered:

Set the Internet IP Addres as follows:
Use Static IP address
IP Address: 192.168.1.253 (this can be any IP address in the 192.168.1.* subnet as long as it isn't the same as the HH5! I chose a high address, not that it matters as none of my clients are on this subnet anyway). This essentially assigns a local IP address to your Internet connection, which will be used by the LAN to access the internet. Usually, the Internet IP address would be assigned by your ISP (either static or dynamic).
Gateway IP Address: 192.168.1.254 (this MUST be the IP address of the HH5)

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address
Use These DNS Servers
Primary DNS: 192.168.1.254 (again, this MUST be the IP address of the HH5)

Now use a network cable to connect the HH5 to the DGND4000. On the DGND4000 plug the cable into the WAN socket (NOT one of the 4 LAN sockets). Plug the other end of the cable into the LAN socket on the HH5 (NOT the WAN socket!).

Turn on the DGND4000 and hey presto internet access without a telephone cable being connected to it! In terms of lights on the front panel of the DGND4000 the only difference is that the DSL light is no longer on. The internet light should be green (it is getting internet access through the HH5 via the WAN socket) and all other lights are unafected by the config.

I hope this information proves to be useful to someone trying to incorporate the HH5 into an existing network and using it as a "modem onl
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E